Chapter Five

Brian and Maya remained perched on the wall, talking well into the night. Every so often, Maya would enter the bar, retrieving Brian another drink. He was throwing them back, letting the alcohol seep into his system. Maya, on the other hand, wanted to remember the night when she awoke the next morning, so began to lay off of the alcohol. As the time hit 2am, Brian began to lose control. His words were once again slurred, as he struggled to remain upright, he stood up from his seat, stumbling his way around.

"Brian, where are you going?" Maya giggled. He turned around to face her, running a hand through his hair.

"I need to pee..." He replied.

"You can't go in the bar, you're banned remember?"

"O-Oh, yeah..." Brian pondered for a second, before sprinting back towards the wall. He hopped over, his hands planted on the wall, as he swung his legs over, having his feet land in the bush behind. "Quick, hide me!" He called out, as Maya shuffled along the wall to cover him. She couldn't help but laugh, as Brian sighed in relief.

"Better?" She asked, as Brian clambered back on top of the wall, whilst tucking his shirt back into his jeans, and buckling up his belt. He nodded his head, his cheeks a crimson red colour from embarrassment. The two swung back into their conversation, as though they had never been interrupted. They were really getting to know each other well, learning new stories about one another. Maya learnt that Brian used to be a firefighter, and how he had given it up to be on a TV show. Brian had learnt that Maya was born in England, but her family had moved to New York when she was only two years old. She didn't remember anything about her time spent across the pond. In addition to this, Brian also learnt about how Maya has never met her father, and that her mother had passed away a few years ago. Brian listened intently to her words, comforting her as best as he could in his drunken state. Brian threw back one last drink, before his vision faded to black. He fell down onto the ground below, passing out, as Maya pandered to him. She sat with him, trying her best to get him to wake up, but nothing was working. Passers-by couldn't care less, as they continued on their commute, leaving Brian lying there on the stone cold pavement. Maya stayed with him, doing everything in her power to get some sort of response from the man. "Come on, Brian! Wake up for me!"

With that, Brian's eyes fluttered open, he searched his surroundings, gathering his thoughts, as he clutched onto his head. He slowly sat up, hissing through gritted teeth. His head was spinning, the alcohol impacting his train of thought. Maya ran her hand down his back, as he flinched at her touch.

"Shit...what the hell happened?" He questioned. Maya helped him up to his feet, as she assisted him back onto the wall that the two of them had been sat on prior to his fall.

"You drank too much and passed out, Brian." Maya explained to him. Brian looked at her in the eyes, he knew he had to get home, or in the comfort of a bed at least, but he was too intoxicated to even tell where he was at this moment in time. "You can stay at my house tonight, it's only around the corner, and I'm certainly not having you travel back home by yourself." Maya offered, to which Brian accepted. She gripped onto his arms, as she helped him back to her house. They slowly made their way round the corner, as she guided him to her place of safety. Her hand rustled through her bag, fishing out her keys, before unlocking her front door and letting Brian step inside. He shuffled his feet along the carpet, as Maya walked him through to her bedroom. She sat him down on the bed, as she scavenged through her dresser, searching for some of her ex's clothes for him to change in to. Brian drunkenly undressed himself down to just his boxers, his clothes being thrown across the room.

She pulled one of his old t-shirts out from the drawer, along with a pair of basketball shorts. Maya spun around, being met with Brian passed out on the bed. She sighed to herself, knowing that she was too weak to move him. A string of snores erupted through the room, making her giggle to herself. Seeing as there was nowhere else for her to sleep, Maya slipped into her pyjamas and squeezed under the covers next to the passed out Brian. It wasn't the most ideal situation to be in, but as Brian had been so kind to her, Maya didn't mind for the one night.

**

Sal drove his way back home, he was still worried about Brian, of course he was, but at least he wasn't alone in the state he was in. The girl he had been with seemed to care about him, and so, Sal thought that it was best not to show his face. Especially after how angry Brian had acted towards him earlier, he really didn't want to cause a scene in public for all of the media to see. He parked up his Dodge Charger, grabbing his phone and keys, before making his way to his front door. He stepped into his home, as Bryony came running up to him, looking rather panicked and worried.

"Any sign of him? You've been gone a long time, Babe!" She cried. Sal calmed his panicked wife, walking her through, as he kicked his shoes off.

"I traipsed all over town for the dick, and the last place I looked is where I found him." Sal stated, rolling his eyes. "I was about to get out of the car to check that he was okay, when a girl came up to his side, helping him up from the ground. I didn't want to intrude, so I just drove off. I think he recognised my car, but he was so off his face that I doubt he'll even remember that I was even there."

Bryony wrapped her arms around her husband, comforting him as best as she could. She felt for him, Sal always seemed to be the one worrying over Brian, protecting him at all costs, but she could see how much it was effecting him. He had been out all night searching for his friend, stressing over the fact that he could have harmed himself in any way. Thankfully though, he was somewhat safe and was finally enjoying himself, but something deep down inside was telling Sal that there was another reason behind his drunken antics. There had to be.