Chapter 22

Third person pov

Surprisingly, the night passed without incident. Kath woke up only a few times due to a squirrel scurrying through the forest, or a raccoon moseying by. Minato woke up a few times too when animals would come by, and seeing that Kath had already woken up before him too and was looking around only made him relax more. Kath hadn't lied, she really could feel the vibrations in the Earth, and she really did have superb hearing.

That morning everyone woke up fully rested, feeling slightly better. Even Kakashi didn't feel like he was going to break down. At least, not at that very moment. "We should get going while it's still cool out." Minato said quietly. "Yeah, we should take advantage of this." Rin agreed. Kakashi nodded as well, gazing back at the way they'd came. Obito's body... he knew there was no retrieving it, not from under all that rubble, but he still felt bad. He felt bad about everything. His stuck-up attitude, the insults he'd thrown... just, everything. 

"Alright, get on." Kath said to Kakashi. Kakashi turned to her. "I can walk." Kakashi said, looking away hotly. Kath raised an eyebrow, looking at his leg. "Really? Because it sorta looks like you have a stab wound in your calf." Kath said. "What, really?! Let me look at it!" Rin exclaimed. Kakashi tensed. "...I'll just ride on Kath." He decided, not wanting to slow his team down. He'd already failed his team, he couldn't do anything else to slow them down. He'd feel too bad about it if he did.

"If you're sure..." Rin trailed off. "It'll be okay, Rin. Kath will carry his steadily, I'm sure. He can seek medical care when we get back to the village." Minato offered a smile to her, although he didn't really feel like smiling. "A-Alright, sensei." Rin nodded, glancing at Kath. The dragon had laid down so Kakashi could get on her back easier, looking rather bored. Rin took this chance to examine her further. She was cute in a way, like a puppy or baby turtle. Her eyes were sharp and purple, and her ears, floppy. Her horns looked strong, and almost like ivory. Rin was sure they were made of something stronger. 

"Alright, let's go then!" Kath stood up carefully, not wanting to jostle her passenger. "Kath, you don't have to act like I'm made of glass." Kakashi groaned. "You might as well be." Kath grumbled, lumbering after Minato who'd already began walking, looking back to make sure they were following. Rin scurried after them as well. She looked up at Kakashi, who was running his hands along Kath's folded spines. He leaned closer to them, squinting. "I can feel you breathing on me." The dragon commented. "Whatever." Kakashi sat up straighter, whipping out the notebook Rin had seen him scribbling in so many times.

"So, Kath. How long have you been living with Kakashi?" Rin questioned. "Since I came here, I guess. I just woke up in the woods and climbed your wall thing. I ended up in his apartment." Kath said. "Yeah, and I woke up to find her under my bed." Kakashi scoffed. "Shut up! I thought you were going to kill me." Kath said defensively. "And I thought you were going to eat me." Kakashi, to Rin's surprise, sounded mildly amused. Rin looked down. Why was she so jealous of a dragon? If Pakkun was a girl, would Rin be jealous of him too?

Time skip

It was around three in the afternoon when they reached Konoha, sweaty and tired. Well, Rin and Minato were sweating. Kath's body had cooled down in light of the increasing heat, and Kakashi hadn't gotten off her since their lunch break, so he was rather cool. He was lying down on her back, his head resting near the back of her neck. He wasn't sleeping though. He was wide awake, and he was scared. They were going to enter the village again. Everybody would know what he did. His mistake. 

There was a whole group of ninja waiting for them as they approached, all of them grinning proudly. Minato had ended the war, or at least landed a heavy blow on the enemy. It was a tough mission, but but he'd done it. Him, a new jonin and two chunin. That was a feat nobody thought they could achieve without a whole platoon, and yet they had. Kanabi bridge had fallen; the mission was a success.

"What... what is that?" A ninja squinted as the team got closer. "It's carrying one of their members." Someone whispered. "It's that creature from before! The winged one!" Someone cried out as though they were all about to die. "T-The dragon? Why's it with them?" Someone asked fearfully. "Is it an ally? Did it go to help?" Someone questioned. "It looked like it." Another said.

Minato got on one side of Kath, and Rin on the other. Kakashi slid off of her back and went to walk closer to her head. "You shouldn't be walking." She said instantly, her tail flicking anxiously as they approached the crowd. "It's better if we walk in like this." He assured her, slinging an arm over her neck for support. Kath lowered her head slightly so he could better support himself, wondering how loud he'd scream if she just picked him up and flew into the village. Then they could avoid social interaction, which was something she and Kakashi probably both wanted.

The crowd parted silently as they entered. "This is Kath! She's friendly!" Minato said as people drew their weapons cautiously. "What is that thing, Minato?" Kushina stepped out of the crowd. "Kushina." Minato sighed in relief at the sight of his soon-to-be wife. "She's a dragon. And she's my friend." Kakashi hissed at the crowd, his lone eye narrowing into a glare. People shifted uncomfortably.

"...Saucy."

Half the crowd screamed in surprise.