Chapter 21

Third person pov

"You want me to sleep in a fucking tree?"

"Kath, language." Kakashi hissed at the dragon. "You know I can't balance in those things! I'll just, like, fall out and suffer." Kath complained. "Get up the tree." Kakashi ordered, seeming more like his usual self now that he was calmer, and now that Kath was here. Kath was a good distraction. He liked their bickering. "Do I look like a fucking chipmunk to you, Kakashi?! Because I'm pretty sure I'm just, you know, a lizard. And lizards sleep under rocks." Kath argued. "Well, you're fat like one." Kakashi scoffed. "...I cannot deny that, but guess who feeds me chicken everyday?!" Kath's tail slapped Kakashi's back, sending him stumbling forward slightly. "You, you ass!"

Minato and Rin watched the exchange, dumbfounded. They'd always imagined dragons as ancient, wise creatures. This beast was anything but that. In fact, Kakashi seemed smarter than she was! Despite this, the two were clearly close with one another, and Minato could see Kakashi was more at ease with her here. Rin wanted to feel happy, but found herself jealous of the reptilian, wishing she could provide Kakashi with the comfort he needed, and that she could do the same for him. Rin was thankful for the dragon, but she envied her. 

"Get up the tree." Kakashi ordered, shoving her. "I don't want to sleep in the fucking tree." Kath hissed. "We're sleeping in the fucking tree." Kakashi hissed back. "We?" What should have been Kath's eyebrows shot up. "We're sleeping up there together." Kakashi scoffed. "We're sleeping together? Kakashi, you didn't tell me that. I would have packed condoms!" She gasped sarcastically. Kakashi's eyes narrowed, but Kath could clearly see his cheeks turn red. "Shut up, you stupid disabled-dragon." Kakashi glared. "Rude." Kath scoffed, turning around. She came face to face with Minato.

"Oh, well hello hot stu-" Kakashi kicked the dragon. Minato's eyes widened in surprise. "A-Ah... so you're Kath?" Minato stepped back. Kath stared at him. "No, I'm Adolf Blaine Charles David Earl Fredrick Gerald-" Kakashi cut me off. "This is Kath, sensei." He said plainly. "Kakashi, you ruined my fun. I was trying to be extra." Kath informed. "No." The Hatake sighed. "Are you my father? Because you don't look like a dragon to me-" Kakashi wrapped his arms around her snout to shut her up. She narrowed her eyes at him. 

"I assume she's friendly?" Minato let out a weak chuckle. Obito's death was still stabbing at the back of his mind where he'd pushed it. He tried to smiled nonetheless. "No, I'm going to eat you all in your sleep." Kath grumbled sarcastically. "She refuses to eat raw meat." Kakashi provided quietly, his mind drifting back to his now-deceased Uchiha friend. "Raw meat is disgusting unless it's sushi. Now, let us sleep." Kath said. "We would be already asleep if you'd climb the fucking tree." Kakashi turned to her angrily. "I'm going to fall and kill us both!" Kath replied shrilly.

"How about Kath sleeps on the ground? Surely her hearing will pick up anything suspicious and wake her up." Rin suggested. "See, she knows what's up. I'll feel any vibrations too." Kath informed. Minato considered it. It was clear that Kath wasn't an enemy. "No. You need to come sleep up there with me. I'll set up a hammock." Kakashi insisted. "I'll. Fall." Kath repeated slowly and firmly. "No you won't." Kakashi humphed. "Bitch, I almost suffocated you when I rolled over do not tell me I won't fall." If Kath could have, she would have Z snapped. 

"Alright. Kath, you sleep down here. We'll sleep in that tree." Minato decided. "Then I'm sleeping down here." Kakashi said. "Um, no you aren't. The enemy will probably go for the big, scary dragon first. If you're with me, we'll both die." This seemed to spook Kakashi. "You can't die." He insisted. "I'm not going to, Kakashi." Kath winced. That had been a bad thing to say, even if it was true. "Let me keep watch." Kakashi requested. "Kakashi, no. You're tired. Let Kath watch out for us." Rin said softly. Kakashi's face morphed into one of anger and near-hysteria. 

"I'm sleeping down here. Down here with Kath!" Kakashi's voice raised with each word, his eyes wide. Kath recoiled when she saw the tears that were about to pour out. Minato and Rin flinched, looking down. Kakashi was barely keeping it together. That much was evident. "Alright, Kakashi. Alright." Minato agreed quietly. "What if an enemy sees you?" Rin asked hesitantly. "I'll watch him." Kath assured. Rin frowned but nodded nonetheless. 

It was going to be a long night.