Chapter 41: Billy Joel

"Why do I get a sense that you're more upset than Marley about the cheating?" asked Sam as we walked through the hallways and looked around at the Career Fair booths.

"I'm definitely not," I said. "She's torn up. It's just..."

"Ryder is giving her all his attention now," he finished for me. I didn't answer.

"I..." I began.

"You don't have to explain yourself," he told me. "I definitely screwed things up between us and gave him a window. But you know, I still do care about you a lot and I don't want to see you so sad..."

"Thanks," I told him, forcing a smile.

"That is why," he went on, "I have suggested that we do Billy Joel this week."

"What?" I exclaimed, stopping and turning towards him. "No way!"

"I know he's your favorite," Sam smiled. "And since I'll be going to New York this week, I figured I might as well leave you with something to make sure you stay happy since I can't be here to guarantee it myself."

"Thank you so much!" I exclaimed, jumping up to wrap my arms around him. I kissed his cheek and then put some distance between us again.

"Yeah," he said with a chuckle. "No problem. Now come on. We should get to glee club. Blaine and I intend on getting us started."

"I'm excited!" I told him earnestly as we turned and headed for the glee club together. I saw Ryder walking just a bit in front of us and wondered if he had seen us.

***

Mr. Schue introduced "Billy Joel" week and Unique claimed to have no idea who he was. Artie gave her a quick lesson and I nearly fainted.

"Billy Joel is by far the most amazing musician that ever lived!" I exclaimed. "He's better than Stevie Wonder," I pointed at Ryder, "Or the Spice Girls," I pointed at Kitty, who gasped, "Or Beyonce." I pointed at Unique but the whole room gasped. I began breathing in and out, out of breath, and John actually laughed. He hardly ever made his presence known around here anymore. It was pretty understandable. With Sugar gone and Kitty dating Artie, there was really nothing he cared deeply about. Not even me.

"Someone loves BJ," Kitty joked. I playfully pushed her arm.

Mr. Schue ignored the joke and explained why Billy Joel was an inspiration. So then Blaine and Sam sang their son, which was appropriately, "Moving Out." When I heard Sam singing, I remembered why I loved him so much. He was so passionate yet easygoing. His voice was calming but exciting. It wasn't unique. But still it was special.

We said goodbye to the guys after they finished their song and soon they were off of campus. I had no idea how I'd make it through the week without Sam around.

***

Uptown girl, I sang as I played the piano. She's been living in her uptown world. I bet she never had a—

A very ticked off Ryder walked into the room so I stopped.

"You're early," I told him as he took a seat.

"And you're a terrible friend," he said abruptly. "You knew for who knows how long and you didn't say anything."

"I was trying to stay out of it," I said. "And maybe you should be staying out of it too. Let them fix it."

"I just got back from talking to Jake," he said. "No, I didn't punch him this time. But he said this is who he is. That's who you're protecting?"

"I'm not protecting anyone!" I exclaimed. "If anything, you're the one who just couldn't wait to jump to Marley's rescue and show her how much you've loved her all this time!"