Chapter 21: Matchmaker

Two in a row, I am on a roll :)

-----------------------------------------

"I spent all day thinking of a new character," said Marley the following day as she walked into History with me. "And I can't decide between Lady from Lady and the Tramp and Belle from Beauty and the Beast."

"I think Belle is the best choice," I told her as we walked into the mid-empty room and took our seats. I sat behind her, so she turned around as I continued, "Maybe you could sing with Ryder. He's still thinking of being The Beast and I think you should try to change his mind."

"I don't know," said Marley. "See, Ryder and I kind of..."

"I know about the kiss," I whispered. "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I just think that you should try to change his mind about his character. Part of being Belle is being a good friend and helping Beast realize he's more than what's on the outside."

Ryder walked into the room and took a seat in front of her so we didn't discuss it any further. However, that day after school, they sang Beauty and the Beast together, so something must have changed her mind. Brittany was home sick, so I sat with Sam and we made eyes at each other throughout the entire performance. When they were done, Marley said she had an announcement.

"I want to be Belle for the big number," she said. "And I think that Ryder should be Mufasa because he's a leader and a good, loyal friend." I noticed the emphasis on the friend part so she was obviously making sure he knew that nothing had changed between them. She took a seat in front of Sam and me, next to Jake, kissing him on the lips and murmuring, "If I were Belle, I would've definitely chosen the handsome and arrogant Gaston."

I held back my thought and Sam noticed the look on my face. "Hey, are you busy after practice?" he asked. "I was hoping you could stick around after hours and help me plan a song."

I nodded and he immediately stood, rushing over to Kitty and pulling her aside. After a few seconds, she nodded and ran over to Unique. Sam made his way back to me as Marley read a text and then turned around and gave him a thumbs up.

"What's that all about?" I asked Sam.

"They're going to stay and help us out, too," he told me. 

"Oh," was all I said. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't want to spend some time alone.

"Alright everyone," Kitty said as she took the center of the room. "Next, I'd like to announce my new persona. Tinkerbell. Not only am I small and blond, but I will also be overcoming my jealousy to help others." Then she broke into song and the band joined her.

How does she know that you love her?
How does she know she's yours?

Artie joined her with the Jamaican part and she danced over to us.

To Jake she sang:

It's not enough to take the one you love for granted 
You must remind her, or she'll be inclined to say... 
"How do I know he loves me?" 

She grabbed his arm and put it around Marley as she circled around the room singing with Artie. When she got to Tina, she sang:

Everybody wants to live happily ever after 
Everybody wants to know their true love is true... 
How do you know he loves you? 

She circled around the room once again and then came back to us, this time singing to me.

Well does he take you out dancin' just so he can hold you close? 
Dedicate a song with words in
Just for you? Ohhh!

Everyone else joined in for the next part except for Sam and me.

He'll find his own way to tell you 
With the little things he'll do 
That's how you know 
That's how you know!

And Kitty took the lead once again with:

He's your love 
He's your love...

She finished the rest of the song. By the end of it, it was pretty obvious that she was directing the attention to us. John, Jake, Ryder, and Cory all definitely noticed and clearly, they had no idea.

I walked angrily after Kitty at the end of rehearsals, forgetting all about Sam wanting us to stay.

"What the hell, Kitty?" I cried after her as I followed her out to the parking lot. "That was so embarrassing. Now everyone's going to think there's something going on that isn't."

"I'm sorry," she said. "Listen, I'll make it up to you if you come home with me, okay?"

"Wait, no, Sam is-" I started.

"-still going to be here," she said. "Trust me, I ok'd this with him first. We'll go home, change, and then come right back. Right girls?"

"Yup!" exclaimed Unique and Marley from behind us, joining us with excitement. I was confused but I played along anyway. We went to Kitty's house, where she pulled out several dresses and asked me to choose one as if I were a princess. I was circumspect but the other girls encouraged it so I picked a pretty blue one and we all dressed up nicely. Then we headed back to school.

When we reached the auditorium, the entire place was decorated nicely. It looked beautiful. Sam was standing there, in a tux, by a picnic on a mat on the floor. There was food and a single candle.

"I stole the idea from Finn," he said. "He promised me it really works."

"But what-" I said, turning around and finding that the girls were already rushing up the stairs and onto the stage. I joined them and Sam asked me to take a seat next to him.

"What happened to the table we agreed on?" I heard Kitty hiss irritably as I took a seat on the mat.

"I couldn't find one that was round," he told her. "But Finn said he and Rachel first-"

"Ok, so!" exclaimed Marley, helping to move things along.

"What's going on?" I asked. "What kind of number are we..."

"Welcome to our first date," Sam told me. Marley, Wade, and Kitty went to the back of the stage where there were three microphone stands and Kitty took the one in the middle. I saw Ryder in the controls center and he started some music, giving me a smile. Then Wade started singing and I recognized the song as "I See The Light" from Tangled. The three girls sang and we started to talk.

As we ate and laughed, I noticed that he was inching closer towards me and I was sort of doing the same. We talked about our families, the Cheerios, the Christian Club, Quinn, Santana, Mercedes, and Brittany, and finally, about us. He was about to kiss me, but he shied away. Embarrassed, I pulled back. I looked over at Kitty, who signaled something to Ryder. In the middle of Marley's verse, the song changed, and suddenly Kitty was singing, "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid. I laughed and we listened in awkward silence for a few lines.

"That..." he started as the first verse ended. "I didn't plan that. Sorry if..."

Shalalalalala my oh my. Looks like the boy's too shy. Ain't gonna kiss the girl.

I blushed. "It's fine," I said, shaking my head. "There's no need to be sorry. You don't have to feel like you have to do anything you don't want to do. Honestly, it's probably best if-"

Now's your moment, floating in a blue lagoon. Boy you better do it soon, no time will be better.

And then without warning, he leaned in and kissed me. 

She don't say a word and she won't say a word until you kiss the girl.

And it was the greatest thing in the world.