Chapter 23: Auditions

"Alright, we are back in action!" Mr. Schue exclaimed as we arrived for yet another glee practice. "Regionals are coming up pretty soon so we have exciting news. Finn, why don't you go ahead and share with them?"

Finn, who looked super distracted on his phone, looked up. "Huh? What?"

"Your idea?" Mr. Schue summarized for him.

"Oh," said Finn, smirking as he turned his attention to us. "I've been thinking that someone should invent a type of pizza that's shaped like a taco but has, like, hamburger meat. It can be called, like, a pizzacoger or something."

"I meant about the spring musical," Mr. Schue sighed. I giggled.

"We're doing a spring musical?" Tina exclaimed with excitement.

"I finally can redeem myself for my lack of sportsmanship during Grease," Blaine smiled at her.

Everyone began to chatter excitedly so Mr. Schue had to shout to tell us, "We still haven't decided which musical we're going to do yet, guys!"

"Chicago!" exclaimed Kitty as she wiggled her eyebrows at Unique and me.

"We should do RENT," said Brittany. "I can have one of the leads because I have experience being a lesbian."

"I was thinking more along the lines of Footloose," Finn said.

"I hate to admit it," said Artie, "but I think High School Musical would be an appropriate choice for what we're working with here."

"Oh hell no!" Unique exclaimed as the rest of the room joined in protest.

"Guys, guys, guys!" I did my best to shout over everyone. "Hear Artie out!"

"Thanks Julie," Artie smiled at me as he wheeled over to the front and faced us. "We have six main characters to be casted and plenty of roles to be filled besides that. The dance moves shouldn't be too hard to learn so we can really focus on the singing and the acting. Costumes won't be too complicated since these are all supposed to be high schoolers. And we can put together a combination of all three movies that will make it a pretty nice show to watch."

"I think it's settled," said Mr. Schue. "Finn?"

"Looks like we're doing High School Musical!" Finn chimed in. I hated to admit how excited I really was. It was a lame guilty pleasure, but I absolutely loved the HSM films and fangirled over Zac Efron all the time still.

"When do auditions start?" asked Tina.

***

Three days later, Artie insisted on beginning auditions already. Tina and Blaine seemed to be super excited about this. I overheard them on my way to class the first day.

"I think we should be the first to audition," Blaine told Tina.

"Why?" she asked. "We haven't even rehearsed."

"We'd be a perfect Gabriella and Troy," he told her. "We're seniors so we'll get preference over roles. And I'm pretty sure nobody else is going to be ready by today so we will look so good to Artie, who is getting pretty antsy to start already. It'll be perfect!"

After hearing them, I decided not to audition for any main roles. Blaine was definitely going to get Troy, considering he's, like, the most talented guy in glee club. Tina was more questionable, considering she would have to compete with Marley, but she had Blaine to back her up. They really were perfect for the roles, I guess.

"So which song should we do today?" Sam told me jokingly as we headed into the auditorium to watch the first brave souls who would audition.

"I'm not doing any song," I answered as we took our seats.