Chapter 37: Tina in the Sky With Diamonds

I was on my way to lunch the next day when I spotted Bree and her clones talking to Dottie, who as far as I knew was Tina's number one personal assistant. What was that girl up to? I decided to get a little closer so that I could hear what they were talking about, but I was interrupted by Jake.

"Julie, we need to talk," he told me. 

"Um, uh," I said, looking over at the girls. Dottie looked extremely happy.

"It'll only take a second," he insisted. "You... You can't go to prom with Ryder."

"What?" I said.

"You're still in love with Sam," he said. "So you can't do this to Ryder. He actually likes you."

"I like Ryder," I said.

"Well, make sure he knows how you actually feel," he said. "Obviously I care about both of you. And the Marley thing sort of messed him up for a while. We don't need that again."

***

At prom, Ryder, Marley, Wade, and Jake had a performance planned that I was unaware of. I watched them and tried to smile, clapping for them and cheering when they were done. I found it hard to enjoy it all, however, while Sam flirted away with the school nurse who had vaccinated him. It was when they were finished that I noticed Bree was once again talking to Dottie. Bree looked stunning but she also looked evil. And I didn't like whatever was possibly brewing up over there. But I still couldn't figure it out. When Bree walked away from Dottie, I was going to walk over to her and ask her but Ryder stepped in and smiled at me. I was about to excuse myself to confront Dottie when Principal Sylvester got up and began to announce the winners for Prom Queen and King.

"This can't be right," she said as she read the paper in her hand. "Ok, what the hell do I care, huh? Your Prom King and Prom Queen are Stoner Brett and Tina Cohen-Chang." Kitty applauded as the rest of the cheerleaders seemed unpleased. We all cheered as Tina was crowned but something just didn't seem right. I followed Bree's gaze and then saw that Kitty had seen the same thing as I had.

We bought yelled, "Noooooooooooo!" at the same time, but we were too late. A bucket of red goo was dumped on Tina, Carrie style, and the room was silent.

"What the hell," Stoner Brett said, just as the bucket fell on him and knocked him out. Bree began laughing and everyone else soon followed. Tina left the room and we all rushed after her. She sobbed in the choir room as we walked in to help her. She claimed she was going home. Blaine said we could drive her home or we could clean her up and it was her choice.

"I don't even have a dress to wear," said Tina through her tears. 

"You can have mine," said Kitty.

"Or mine," I said.

"Or mine," Marley offered.

"Or mine," Wade agreed.

"Come on Tina," Blaine told her. "We're all with you. You wanna be that girl? Then go be that girl?"

Blaine sat at the piano and began playing "Hey Jude" as we cleaned her up and sang to her. We walked with a brand new Tina who had surprisingly fit into Kitty's dress despise the obvious different in their sizes. Everyone cheered as she once against took the stage, except for Bree, who gave us the death stare. 

"That's what you meant when you said you wouldn't 'pour' anything on Kitty?" I told Bree as I confronted her with Marley and Wade at my side. "Well, in the end you gave Tina just what she wanted. A chance to be prom queen and show everyone at school just how terrible you really are."

"You think I don't know how this works?" Bree asked. "This is not over. I may not be the official captain of the Cheerios, not yet at least, but I can bet you all you want that the girls will continue to follow my leadership. Consider yourself warned. This will be a rainy season for you and the rest of your loser friends Juliet. Maybe I'll pour a bucket of slushie on you next, Marley the emaciated, dead dog."

Marley scoffed as Bree walked away and Coach Roz, who had been listening in on our conversation, took her spot in front of us. 

"Thanks for the tip, girls," she told us. "Don't worry, as soon as we get back to school on Monday, that wicked girl will be punished for what she did to the poor, Asian girl. You've done well." She walked away and I turned to the girls, who smiled at me. We did a little happy dance and celebrated our first small victory.

***

Monday, when we were on our way to lunch, Bree came out of Principal Sylvester's office with Coach Roz. The latter looked upset as she stormed off but the former was grinning. She walked over to us.

"Well, tattle-tales," she said. "Congratulations. Your little failed plot of getting me suspended for the hilarious prank I pulled on Tina Cohen-Asian just got me officially promoted to captain of the Cheerios. Now I've got the followers and the title. Thanks!"

We immediately met up with the rest of the club in the choir room and told them the news.

"This is an injustice!" exclaimed Blaine.

"Seriously, she can't be rewarded for what she did!" Sam agreed.

"We should protest!" exclaimed Jake.

"Hunger strike," said Kitty. "Well, except Marley." Marley rolled her eyes.

"Guys, enough," Tina stopped us. "I appreciate the passion against my tormentor but there isn't much we'll be able to do about this. So my advice is to just... Let it be..." She smiled and we started to plan a group number.

After school we were ready to go in our best outfits and performed our final Beatles number for Mr. Schue, "Let it Be."