Chapter 11: Asking Him

A week passed and the McKinley girls were taking their time asking the guys to the dance. Kitty and I giggled from my locker as some of the glee guys walked by with terrified expressions on their faces.

"I feel kind of bad," I told her. "Poor guys. It's only been a few hours since the rest of the school found out about the dance and they're already having freak outs about being asked."

"Serves them well," said Kitty with a grin on her face. "At a typical dance, we're in their shoes and they don't seem to care. Now they're getting a taste of their own medicine." We watched as a Cheerio who had recently been injured and was now wearing a neck brace walked up to Ryder.

"Looks like he's getting asked," I said.

"And she's getting rejected," said Kitty. "Trust me... Hey, why don't you ask Ryder? I'm telling you, he's pretty much a perfect match for you."

"Um, well, considering he basically hates me," I explained, "I think neck brace girl has a better chance than me." I watched as the poor cheerleader walked away from Ryder, defeated and rejected. I turned back to Kitty and asked, "Who are you planning on asking?"

"Jake," she said nonchalantly. "Now come on, Finn wanted to see us in the guys' locker room."

"How weird is that, by the way?" I said. "Anyway, I can't. I really need to use my free period to catch up on some AP World History homework. The class is really hurting me and I need to get an A or my dad will force me out of glee club."

"You get straight A's," she said. "It shouldn't be that hard."

"Please, don't start with that stuff," I said, annoyed.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"The whole, you're-a-genius-so-don't-complain-about-struggling-in-classes thing," I said, suddenly angry. "I get that enough from just about everyone else. I don't need it from you."

"Whoa, chill out," she said. "You were happy just a second ago and now you're yelling at me? What's your problem?"

"Whatever Kitty," I said. "Just tell Finn I can't make it."

I walked away angrily and felt guilty for overreacting about five seconds later. I'd have to apologize later. After school, I caught up to Kitty to do so, but she stopped me before I could.

"No need to mention what happened earlier," she said. "I think it's best if we just don't talk about it. I need to tell you about the debacle that was Tina at the meeting you missed. Come on, I'll give you a ride home."

***

"He really rejected her like that in front of everyone?" I asked. "That's horrible." We had just arrived at my house and I'd asked Kitty inside. She was sitting at my kitchen table while I poured us each a glass of fruit punch.

"Yeah, I know," she said. "But who can blame him? He's just not into her. It's really her fault for hagging out like that."

"I guess..." I murmured as I passed her a glass.

"So what do you think of Brittany's idea?" she asked after taking a quick gulp. "You want to be a part of their number to ask out Jake and Sam?"

"Umm," I said, "I don't really know if I'd be comfortable doing that."

"Why?" she asked. "Because you've got the hots for Sam?"

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"I see the way you look at him," she said. "And being honest here, I sometimes think he's into you, too. There's nothing wrong with liking a guy who has a girlfriend, Julie. I like Jake even though he's with Marley. And you can like Sam even though he's with Brittany. Just because there's a goalie doesn't mean you can't score."