Chapter 12: Sadie Hawkins Dance

When I got to the dance, I was really late. Or at least, late according to the time the glee club had agreed to be there by. I wasn't going to show up at all, but Cory, who wasn't going either, insisted that I go and at least find out whether it was worth it or not. I walked in in the middle of the guys performing No Scrubs so I joined the girls at the front and watched them perform. Jake, the only guy besides Rory who wasn't in the number, was happily twirling Marley around a few feet away so I tried to focus on the performance. Ryder made some intense eye contact with me, though, so I walked away.

As the song ended, I noted that Rory and Sugar were arguing. She rolled her eyes at something he said and walked away, joining the rest of the single girls at the bleachers. I took a seat at one of the tables and was surprised to find that Rory was walking towards me with a smile on his face. Just as he was reaching me, Ryder pulled him aside and began a conversation with him, giving me brief looks after about every tenth word.

Was he really going to purposefully intercept any chance of me interacting with a guy? I stormed off angrily just as Coach Beiste convinced the single girls to get off the bleachers and they dispersed to the dance floor. I saw Sugar jump on Artie's wheelchair and Joe accepting a dance with Lauren Zises, who I was pretty sure wasn't Christian enough for him. She dated Noah Puckerman.

I suddenly felt like crying but Locked Out of Heaven began to play, providing me with a perfect distraction. I watched as some of the girls sang on stage and took a seat next to Finn, who was enjoying the show from a secluded table.

"You know, if this was a typical dance, there'd be plenty of guys asking you to dance with them," said Finn without even turning to look at me.

"Thanks," I said. In reality, his comment had made me feel even more pathetic. Even he'd noticed how alone and miserable I was.

Sam approached us suddenly and said, "Finn, quick. I just saw Puck and Kitty leave together and knowing him, something inappropriate is about to go down in the parking lot. Finn thanked him and rushed out. Then it was just the two of us.

"Why have I seen you alone pretty much all night?" he asked. I shrugged. He extended his arm out to me and just as I was going to take it Brittany pulled him towards her.

"Lets dance!" she exclaimed.

"I was just about to dance with Julie," he informed her.

"Oh," she said, frowning. "Well, I can-"

"No, it's fine," I said. "I actually need to get to the stage pretty soon. Tina must be getting ready for our number already." I got up and they rushed to the dance floor. Once the song finished, Tina and I began the next set. We sang P!nk's amazing song "Who Knew" and then Rory asked me to dance as soon as we were done. I accepted with a smile, glad that the world's greatest cock blocker wasn't around. 

When the next song started I knew why; it was Ryder's number and the final number of the night, I Only Have Eyes For You. We slow danced and I couldn't help but look up at Ryder singing as I rested my head on Rory's chest. At first he was staring at Marley. But for a brief part of the song, I caught his gaze and he locked it on me. Almost like he was taunting me. I finally managed to look away during the last chorus and he turned back to Marley, who was still dancing with Jake. What a mess I hoped to never be a part of.