Chapter 29: Dance

We played a good game. Most importantly John played a good game. I don't think that would've been the case had everyone not been super late.

"Are we early..?" asked Marley as they all arrived. John and I were taking a break on the bench. Everyone else had left and we had reserved the field last minute.

"The game's over," said John.

"But, you told me at 1..." said Kitty as she scrolled through her messages.

"Sorry!" I exclaimed. "I meant 11! I must've missed a 1!" 

"Aww, now we don't get to find out if Julie's moves on stage make her a better player than John," said Ryder. Sam shot him a look. The jealousy thing was really making me mad.

"Oh you can see how much better I am than him right now!" I said, getting up and heading into the field. John followed with a laugh.

"You wish Vasquez!" he laughed. "Was your brother going to come?"

"No, he's on a fly-in to UChicago, remember?" I said.

"Oh right, he flew out today!" said Ryder. "Other than him we're all here so let's get out there and play."

"Where's Artie?" I asked.

"He didn't want to come," Kitty answered. "He went out with Finn and the alumni."

"I still think it'd be a good idea to do the baseball scene," Marley murmured.

"We need to relax a little!" Jake told her.

"How about this?" I said. "I school John at baseball and dancing. I don't dance?"

"I really don't dance, though," said John.

"But you're supposed to be playing Chad!" I exclaimed. "He's a dancer!"

"I guess but--" he started.

"But nothing!" I exclaimed. "I'll be Ryan. Let's go. You really need to get loose with your moves. Or what, are you scared of them seeing your baseball is just as bad as your dancing?"

"Oooooooh," everyone instigated. 

John let his pride get the best of him. So we were joined by everyone on the field. Sam agreed to let me take his part and we used the game as a rehearsal, with John's car parked just outside the field and the instrumental version of the song booming from his stereos. 

"How are we dividing up the teams?" asked John.

"Dancers versus singers," said Kitty. The dancers seemed to like the idea, seeing as these were also the most athletic people, but the singers weren't so thrilled.

"What does dancing have to do with baseball?" asked Ryder.

"Everything," I scoffed.

"Oh come on, Ryder," Jake said when he protested. "You scared of playing against me?"

"Bring it on, Puckerman!" Ryder basically agreed for the rest of them. So John brought out his jerseys and gave everyone either a red one or a blue one. On the red side were the dancers: me, Jake, Kitty, Brittany, Sugar, Blaine, Sam. The blue side were the singers: Tina, Ryder, Rory, Wade, John, Marley, Joe. Blaine and Sam were originally on the blue side but we recruited them when the other side had too many players and we needed more. Then we got out on the field and began.

Julie: Hey batter, batter, hey, batter batter, swing! 

John: I've got to just do my thing.

Julie: Hey batter, batter, hey, batter batter, swing!

John: Yeah...

Julie: I'll show you that it's one and the same. Baseball, dancing, same game. It's easy: Step up to the plate, start swingin'.

We started playing and I threw the ball at John who missed.

John: I wanna play ball now, and that's all, this is what I do. It ain't no dance that you can show me yeah.

Julie: You'll never know. 

John: Oh I know.

Julie: If you never try.

John: There's just one little thing that stops me everytime.

He had hit the ball and ran to first base, barely making it past Jake. Ryder was up next to batter up and by that time I'd reached the chorus.

Julie: Come on!

Ryder: I don't dance.

Julie: I know you can!

Ryder: Not a chance.

Julie: If I can do this, well you can do that!

Ryder: But I don't dance.

Julie: Hit it out of the park!

We continued this way. John took over the verses and Ryder did the chorus while I did all the Ryan parts. It was surprisingly fun. And the guys were not only good, they were great!

"That was so awesome!" exclaimed Ryder as we finished our game and he hugged me. "I feel so much better about dancing now. Thanks!" He let go of me and ran over to Jake. Sam joined me, looking rather unhappy.

"You're still going to tell me there's nothing going on with Ryder?" he said. 

"Screw you..." I mumbled, walking away from him. Instead of going after me, he walked in the opposite direction. When I turned, he was joining Brittany on the stands. She offered him a water bottle and the two started talking. I couldn't tell if he was doing this to make me jealous or if he did spend a lot of time with her and I just hadn't noticed.

We hung out at the field for a while and Sam spent the entire time with Brittany. I wasn't too happy about it, so I went over to sit with Marley and Wade. They had noticed Sam. 

"What's going on there?" Marley asked. I shrugged.

"I'll tell you what's going on," said Wade. "Your boy's still hung up on his ex."

I shook my head. "He's the one who broke up with her," I said.

They looked at each other and then back at me. "I don't think that's how it works," said Marley. "I'm sure he's just being friendly, though. He loves you and you have nothing to worry about."

I had everything to worry about. Brittany S. Pierce is gorgeous and talented. And beneath that ditziness I think there's a smart girl. Most importantly he loved her once and he has more in common with her than he ever will with me.

I freaked out about this all weekend. When we returned to school, I couldn't bear to be in their presence so I asked for one-on-one time with my mentor. Rachel seemed very eager to do this, encouraging Artie-- not Finn, I noted-- to let us have some final mentor coaching. So we split up for that. Rachel and I went to the choir room this time.

We had just closed the door behind us when Rachel had me sit on the piano. She asked me to play "Walk Away" from the musical. So I did and she started singing.

Rachel: I guess I should've known better, to believe that my luck could change.

She continued on with the song and I felt a surge of emotions. Tears ran down her face, as they often did when she sang. Usually, she could continue singing without this affecting her. But not this time. She stopped singing and began sobbing, falling to her knees. I stopped playing and stood up.

"Whoa, umm..." I started, feeling completely at a loss. "Are you okay?" Stupid question.

"No, I'm sorry," she said. "I'm sorry." She stood up and left the room.