Chapter Seventeen: Right and Wrong

Carson:

"So are we not going to talk about your alcohol usage at my very important political party! Do you think I can afford to have a drunken daughter running around at all times of the night." I stopped short holding my breath hoping my dad wasn't talking about what I thought he was. "Where were you Carson, because I know you didn't come home time last night? So who were you with?" My dad came home not too long after Lux left ready to read me the riot act. Today he decided his speech was better served in the office.

"Nobody dad, I just called a friend and they dropped me off," It was somewhat the truth, Lux did pick me up and drop me off, but what we did in between and after those events are no one's concern. Most especially not my dad.

"Tell me the truth now Carson, or I swear there would be hell to pay!" His voice pierced my chest as his preacher voice filtered through. I swallowed roughly.

"Matthew, I was with Matthew." I muttered the words regretting them as soon as they left my mouth. He paused and a slow smile crept up his lips.

"Peter Carraway's son?" I nodded putting my head down. Lying was always my strong suit, but the was going to far. Lux and I weren't something I really wanted to claim really ever, because that was never the plan. But in the rules we aren't allowed to date people because too many emotions would get involved. But I could tell this was quickly going down hill fast.

"Hmm, so are you dating this young man?" His voice stern but his eyes read differently. For the first time he looked as though I had potential that I was worth something other than being the biggest regret he'd ever had. My mother, the glamorous woman hanging in all the photos throughout the house. My father adored the ground she walked on. But when she gave birth to me all of that changed, she put every waking moment she had into taking care of me. That was until she got sick. Lung cancer, her life finally just caught up with her. And I did something the day she died, something that I've never been forgiven for. Leaving me to forever ridiculed for killing my mother, or at least that's what my dad says when he's drunk...

"No, we're not dating. He just took me home and here I am, voilà!" I replied jokingly, but my father was yet to be amused.

"Okay Carson," He said calmly, too calmly. "Invite this Matthew boy over, I want to see just what exactly you were up to last night. Tomorrow night 7:00pm, no sooner, no later understood young lady!" I nodded holding back my tears. I walked slowly out of the room, wanting to be back in Lux's warm safe arms. I sighed wondering how something so wonderful this morning end on a note like this. My phone beeped and the text floated across the screen

'Hope u got home OK, u looked pretty messed up last night. -Matthew' Perfect timing.

'I'm fine but can u come over tomorrow?'

'Y?'

'My dad wants to c the guy who took his drunken daughter home last night...'

'But I didn't take you home last night, js'

'Ik but I need a favor so can u just pretend u did'

'Fine, but only on condition...'

'Wat is it?'

'I'll tell to tomorrow night' I groaned clawing at my eyes. Sometimes I really hate my life.

******************************************

Lux:

"Lux Pauline Hamilton, what the hell is a flask doing my car?" My mother never cursed, ever. Nobody in my family does at least not in front of me. And she called me by all of my names, very obvious examples of how bad you're in trouble. And let's just say the odds are most certainly not in my favor right now.