Chapter Sixteen: And It All Falls Down

Chapter Sixteen:

Carson:

They never quite explain 'the morning after' as well as it actually feels. This amount of joy and giddiness seems just way too crazy to put into words. Lux lied next to me fast asleep haloed by her ruby curls. She looked so peaceful, and that is such a cliché thing to say, but you never truly understand it until you really look at someone as they sleep. I caressed her rosy cheek not wanting this bliss to end. Last night, probably one of the first I've had in years that I didn't feel like I had to live up to my mother's shadow. I was wild, and not even the drinking but the sex, everything. I felt alive, Lux woke me up. I rolled over wanting to see what time it was to decide whether or not I should wake her up. I unlocked my phone and was blasted with texts from my dad that didn't feel the need to open. It was 11:56am and if I remember clearly, slumber parties usually end at around elevenish twelve in the afternoon.

The mid-morning sun blinded me, forcing me to get out of bed. I went to the bathroom quietly closing the door behind me. When I looked into the mirror I was shocked at my face, red and flush with a hint of bliss. All the things I didn't need to be looking like, especially in front of my dad or hell even my brother. I splashed cool water on my face and brushed my teeth, trying to look as clean as possible. Much better.I crept back into my room seeing Lux sitting up on the bed staring out the window.

"Hey," I whispered.

"Hi," She stared at me wit a smile spread on her face. We stood there for a couple of seconds before she broke it leaning forward in the bed. I turned around and saw she was looking at herself through the vanity.

"My hair," She said slowly. Her red tresses we frizzy and curled looking a lot like a seventies perm. I didn't mind it, it was kind of cute actually. What the hell am I thinking?

"It's fine just kind of," And I circled my head with my arms. "Frizzy! But some people would kill to have that texture." I giggled.

"Shut up!" She groaned flopping back on the bed. I chuckled harder but I kept my voice down not wanting to sound crazy when I should be alone. I sat on my bed and crawled to where she was laying. I took the pillow that was now covering her face and threw it on the ground.

"Lux, look at me." She unclenched her eyes carefully opening them to look at me.

 "Your hair looks beautiful, you look beautiful." I whispered. I brushed her curls and stared into her eyes feeling this intense pressure on my chest. It was like I was choking and losing my breath at the same time. I've never felt like this before, nor did I ever intend to. Lux was just supposed to be like an extracurricular activity, you know. Something fun to do during the school year, but nothing you get very invested in. It was all so overwhelming!

"So when do you need to be back home?" I asked breaking our silence. Her face quirked and suddenly she looked like she woke up from a dream.

"What time is it?" She said with urgency. She vaulted out the bed grabbing up her t-shirt and her sweat pants and donning them in lightening speed. I rolled over and checked the time and it was 12:17pm.

"It's 12:17pm,"

"Damn, they are definitely gonna kill me." She groaned when she slipped into her flats. In a way I kinda felt bad, she didn't deserve to be punished for helping me out. Even if it was in more ways the one...Stay Focused!

"Where are my keys?" She stalked around the room checking dressers and vanities. I rolled my eyes and scooped them up from my end table. I spun them around my finger, signaling her to turn. She shot me a snide look and I tossed her the keys.