Chapter Twenty-Two: The Girl You Lost to Alcohol

Lux:

Someone told me one Tumblr that she was awake. On Tumblr? Finding out that way on emphasized how little we know about one another. I stared on the phone trying not to freak out too much, I mean when someone you care about comes back from the dead practically you should be jumping for joy. I should be jumping for joy but now it feels like I'm in a coma. Frozen in a state of disbelief. I threw my phone down and walked out of my room trying to keep myself together. Food that always calms people down, right? I entered kitchen to see my mother scarfing down some Chinese food from our favorite take out place.

"Can I get in on that?" I plead sadly. She cooed and waved me over with her plastic fork.

"What's going Lux? Your father and I are really worried about you. I know when you lose someone close to you can feel very drawn but its been weeks now." She sighed brushing back my curls. I dug into the vegetable lo mein and swallowed hard before giving her my response.

"There's this rumor going around that she's awake now. Today actually. And I don't know what to do. We were close, but its my fault that she's in this coma to begin. If I wasn't so petty, lying in her face the whole time. If I could have just left it alone..."

"No, sweetie, no. There was nothing you could have done to make her get in that car accident. She was drunk out of her mind. If her father wasn't so damn important in this town she would be getting a DUI, like anyone else. That girl has a lot of other things going on with her than just you lying to her. Now it is all up to you to decide what you feel like doing. But go and see her, you can't carry that regret with you forever." She kissed my forehead and left me to finish the Chinese food. My mom of course is always right but I don't feel strong enough to face her, to face what I did regardless of what my mom has to say.

The next day I arrived at school with everyone praising her name. Talking about prayers being answered and thanking God for bringing us back our "angel". I tried my best to stay strong, yet keep from rolling my eyes at the thought Carson being an angel. I went through all my classes and surprisingly I'm still able to keep up and do well even. I was almost done with the whole day when I was railroaded in the hallway. Matthew Carraway stood in front of me with his winning smile and annoying hair and- you get the point.

"Watch where you're going." I grumbled under my breath trying to side step his path.

"Woah, tell me how you really feel. But its good I bumped into you, Carson sent me with a message." My head shot up from the ground and I looked at him fighting back all of my urges to punch him. Of course he's seen her already, her supposed 'boyfriend' is supposed to keep her strong in a time of unlikely tragedy. Or at least that's what the newspaper said.

"I'm not in the mood for messages from you. If she wants me, she knows my number. Now move!"

"Just here, I can't go telling a girl who was in a coma bad news." He slipped me the paper and walked away from me. I sighed and slid down the doors of the lockers on a -thankfully- empty hallway. I unfolded the piece of paper and straightened the creases and read her note:

Lux:

If you don't already know I am awake now and feeling...something. Anyways I would have told you this through a text but my dad has my phone and he rarely comes to see me now that everything is over. But I need to see you. I know you talked to my brother and he told me you ran out but, I want to talk to you. I need to know why you did what you did to me. I can't go one more day in this hospital bed without answers so you're coming to see me TODAY right now if Matthew knows how to listen to a threat. I'll see you soon.