Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Dallas

It was 10 PM by the time I left the pack house. Grey and I had been transferring files and examining rogue reports which was tedious, I know, but it had to be done. The engine of my truck roared to life as I turned the key. I decided to stop at the Minimart on the way home to pick up ingredients for Troye's favorite thing in the entire world-fluffer nutter sandwiches. I was going to try and get back into his good graces after this week's timeline of events. I had unintentionally blown him off almost every time he asked me to spend time together and I felt terrible about it.

Technically it wasn't my fault though; Colette had me on a tight leash. She had me up at 6-- showered and dressed by 6:30-- so we could "spend ze most possible time together." On top of that, most nights I didn't get home until 11 because of all the adjusting I had to do at the pack house. I had to move into the alpha's office and read files on every pack member-not to mention met them all as well. So its safe to say I've missed my little pup and couldn't wait to see his adorable little grin.

I pulled into the deserted parking lot, the only other car here a beat up light blue Honda that has seen better days. I pushed open the door and was met with a familiar chime as I began to navigate the empty aisles looking for some peanut butter and fluff.

After I had finished, I placed all my items on the counter in front of the checkout girl. She had blonde and blue died hair pulled up into a bun on top of her head and a bright blue lip piercing to match. She was sitting on a fold up chair behind the counter, reading this months edition of People magazine. I cleared my throat, trying to get her attention. She glanced up, a wide disturbing smile appearing on her face. She left her magazine on the chair and proceeded to ring me up while I stood there seemingly uncomfortable.

"Fluffanutters?" She asked with a raspy voice, raising an eyebrow at my purchases.

"Uhh yeah... It's for my brother," I replied awkwardly, looking behind the counter to escape her stare. A familiar longing formed in my chest as my eyes lingered on a pack of Camels. I hadn't smoked in forever, but after this weeks events I deserved it.

"And can I get a pack of Camels, please?"

She eyed me down and gave me a once over. "Got any ID?"

Now this was weird. I've never been asked for my ID in my entire life. Being 6'4 with shoulders bigger than some people's futures had its advantages-I was never carded. People just knew.

But I grumbled and pulled it out anyways. She took it, holding it up to an inspection light that did not exist. I glared at her. She was wasting valubale time I could be spending with Troye.

"Dallas Chamberlain? Aren't you dating that Colette girl?" She asked me, still gripping onto my license. I made a face.

"Yeah I guess. Can I get my stuff now or what?"

"You guess?" She raised an eyebrow. Again. "How do you guess you're dating someone?"

I clenched my fists. "Okay we're dating! Happy? Now can you tell me what the hell I owe you?"

She smiled and began punching buttons on an outdated cash register.

"9.98."

I threw down a 10 and grabbed the bag growling, "You can keep the change," and then headed for the front door.

But not without a sarcastic "thank you" coming from that goddamn checkout girl.

~~

It was 10:30 by the time I was slowly pushing Troye's bedroom door open. All the lights were on but he lay silent on his bed, so I walked over and bent down to face him. His eyes were open and shining my favorite bright blue, but he didn't acknowledge my presence.