Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen           

Battle at Eastern

Part Four

Dallas

“Every single wolf in every single division needs to be extremely prepared and on high alert. This is where all your years of training comes in, boys. So do your job and do it well. Now report to your unit officer for prep immediately.”

As Zack barked commands though his transmitter, all I wanted to do was throw up. The growing sickness in my stomach due to Troye’s absence and unknown whereabouts was nearly enough to make me vomit. Zack took instant action after we got the call, ordering his scouts around and preparing for a battle. I couldn’t help but feel like everyone around me was doing something to save Troye, except me.

Everyone was milling about the pack house, doors slamming and opening faster than you could even see. I stood still in the center of it all, temporarily paralyzed.

My paralysis faded as soon as a disheveled looking Zack jogged by me. I reached out and grabbed his shoulder, pulling him back. He turned and looked at me with an annoyed expression, which quickly faded when he realized who had grabbed him.

“Yes Alpha?”

“Tell me what to do,” I stated eagerly.

He gave me a blank look, then replied. “Monitor the happenings around the pack house, I guess. Make sure everything is in order and stay here for reports when the scouts go to Eastern,” he replied evenly.

I could feel anger steam from inside me. Did he think I was incapable of fighting?

“Bullshit! I am not sitting around here like some child! The love of my life is trapped in there somewhere and you’re insane if you think I’m not going to try and save them,” I bellowed. His eyes went wide at the sound of my booming voice.

He gulped. “Yes, sir. Find Cody, he’s in charge of Unit A. He will get you prepped. Good luck Alpha, and take Sam with you. He’s been asking me all day to work with us,” he responded quickly, then rushed off to prepare his own unit.

I nodded and pushed past frantic pack members in order to get to the scout room. I saw a familiar tuft of brown hair pass in front of me, so I grabbed his arm and pulled him through the swinging door to get ready.

“Ouch Dallas! Jeez, you could have just asked me to come with you instead of ripping my shoulder out of its socket!” Sam yelled, rubbing his shoulder and looking around the room.

The room was pristine with white walls and white floors. It almost looked like a hospital room, considering the four examination tables in the right half of the room. I guess those where were the scouts got their physicals. The left half of the room had walls lined with artillery and various drawers filled with who knows what. I shuddered. The scouts were good at their jobs just in their werewolf forms. Add high caliber bow and arrows and various types of violent looking weapons and these guys were unstoppable.

“Dallas and Sam get over here!” We turned our heads to see Cody standing at one of the examination tables, finishing up with a wolf named Carson. Carson jumped off the table, pulled on a tight black t-shirt, and headed through a door on the opposite side of the room.  Sam and I complied, quickly walking towards Cody. Cody had his back turned, fumbling through drawers and muttering incoherent things. Sam and I exchanged a glance.

“Cody?” I asked uneasily.

He didn’t answer, but continued fumbling around the drawer for a minute longer until he finally found something. “Aha! Found ya,” he began, turning to face us with two sharp needles in his hands. I felt Sam cringe. “All right boys, shirts off,” Cody finished.