Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Dallas

I anxiously tapped my fingers on the cool leather of the steering wheel, not so patiently waiting for Troye’s arrival. After this morning’s shower episode, I don’t know how I’m going to drive to school with him for the next 10 minutes. I racked my brain for ways to avoid the impending awkwardness of the situation.

If you were just in a sexually uncomfortable situation with your stepbrother and you happened to also be male, would you:

A.     Refuse to be alone with him until further notice

B.     Act like nothing happened (try saying that to your penis)

C.     Never stop talking to him about it. Ever.

Or

D.    Cause a distraction

SO let’s go with D.

 I quickly reached for my phone and dialed Sam’s number. It was not my first choice, but he would be able to keep Troye’s mind off our strange encounter during the ride to school- or at least I hoped.

“Dallas? Everything okay?”

Shit what am I supposed to say? Uh, hi Sam, oh beta of mine, I just took a shower with your sort-of boyfriend who happens to be me stepbrother?

“Saaammmm! Hey! How are you? Seen any good movies lately? How bout “Frozen” we should totally build a snowman together if you catch my drift! Hah get it! Like a snowdrift! Cause the movies about winter! Ha. Ha”

“Shut up Dallas! Do you need a favor or not?”

I let out a deep breath. He knew me too well.

“I need you to ride to school with me and Troye this morning. And don’t ask questions.”

“I’ll be ready in 5.”

A wave of relief washed over my face and I quickly hung up the phone as Troye was pulling open the car door. I licked my lips nervously and began to back out of the driveway once he had gotten in. Good thing the drive to Sam’s was only 30 seconds or I might have vomited from embarrassment.

“Who was on the phone?” Troye asked me uninterestedly, picking at something on his nail.

“Uh, Sam. We’re picking him up this morning.”

Troye gulped, a guilty look crossing face. A look I couldn’t really place. Hey that rhymed! I love that! How cool is it that you can rhyme in your mind! Wow.. I wonder if I’d be good at poetry..

“What are you smiling at?” Troye asked me, almost laughing to himself. I guess I had been pulling some faces during my rhyme time.

I looked over at him, and shook my head. “Nothing… just thinking. Do you think maybe I’d be good at.. I don’t know.. writing poems?” An uneasy look grazed my face waiting for Troye’s reaction.

A couple of seconds passed and he hadn’t answered. Wow, good move Dallas. Quick transition from sex to poetry.

“Nevermind it was stupid, don’t answer that.” I shook my head again at my own insolence. Me? Poetry? I’ve gotta be on drugs.

Troye’s soft-spoken voice interrupted my internal rant:

“No it was not... I think.. I think you could write beautiful poems, Dal,”

You couldn’t wipe the goofy grin off my face or settle the butterflies that erupted in my stomach when he said that even if you tried.