Chapter 30

JESS’S POV

I woke up and got ready for school, I was looking forward to school. Going made me take my mind off my back and everything, and I loved the friends that I had made there.

Dad dropped Jai, Luke and I at school then Beau picked us up afterwards. School was good; I’m not getting to much homework because school ends in two days.

I sat in the living room on my laptop, when there was a knock at the door. Who is that? I asked myself getting up to answer it. Jai and Luke were at footy training and dad was still at work, I opened the door and before me stood Louis. I was gobsmacked; I stood there, starring at him. Louis looked me up and down, before he started to well up. ‘Jess,’ is all he managed to get out. ‘Louis, hey,’ I said letting him in. We both sat down in the living room, Louis was distressed and stressed. He was shaking and he put his head in his hands, ‘Dad said it was bad, but I had no idea. I’m so sorry for not coming earlier Jess. This is my fault, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what to do….. But I have to make this right.’ He looked up at me, he was really upset. I smiled, ‘Louis it means so much that you care so much, but none of this is your fault. It’s hers. Thanks so much for coming to see me, and I’m so sorry for everything that I said to you before.’ I made my way over to Louis and gave him a hug. ‘We need to catch up,’ I said with a smile.

‘Yeah, let’s go out for something to eat?’ Louis suggested. I nodded in agreement.

‘I’ll never turn down food!’ I said picking up my wallet and phone. I got into Louis’ car and we headed into town.

JAI’S POV

I didn’t really have any homework and I knew Jess didn’t either, so I thought I’d walk over to hers and spend some time with her. I said goodbye to Luke and I started walking.

I was almost at Jess’ house when I was stopped dead in my tracks, she was getting into a guy’s car, and he looked about 18 or 19. Was she cheating on me? I had no idea but I panicked and walked back home.

I opened our front door to find Luke sitting on the couch in the living room. He turned around and looked at me; a shocked expression look covered his face. ‘I wasn’t expecting you back so soon.’ He remarked as I took a seat on opposite couch. I frowned and looked around the room, had no idea what to say, I had no idea what had just happened. I sighed, ‘she was with someone.’ I said putting my head between my hands.

‘Who?’ Luke asked, I looked over to see him sitting up straighter and looking at me eagerly.

‘I have no idea.’ I replied, ‘they drove off, he looked about 18 or 19. I’ve never seen him before,’ I added. I was so upset; this couldn’t be what I thought it was? Could it? Luke could tell I was stressing out, ‘Jess wouldn’t do this to you,’ he said. ‘I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for all of this, why don’t you give her a call?’ Luke suggested. I nodded that was a good idea; she’d be able to tell me what was going on. I grabbed out my phone and dialled her number.

JESS’S POV

Louis and I decided on this cute café in Glen Roy. We had just placed our orders when my phone rung I grabbed it out and looked at the caller ID. ‘Who is it?’ Louis asked.

‘My boyfriend,’ I replied answering the phone. Louis started making kissy faces and whistling, ‘shut up,’ I said with a laugh punching him. ‘Hey babe,’ I said, answering the phone, ‘what’s up,’ I heard Jai sigh. ‘Jai seriously, what’s up?’ I was a little worried now. ‘I don’t know how to put this,’ Jai sighed, ‘it’s not that I don’t trust you but um… who are you with?’ Jai asked, I gasped; Jai didn’t trust me. ‘Oh I’m getting a bite to eat with Louis,’ I replied, trying not to show that I was upset. ‘I’m sorry Jess, I didn’t mean to intrude…. I just.’

‘I don’t want to hear it Jai, I haven’t spoken to my brother properly in months. I’ll see you tomorrow at school.’

‘Bye,’ Jai replied and I hung up the phone. I quickly put it back in my bag.

‘Is everything alright?’ Louis asked pointing at my phone. I nodded as a waiter brought our food across. I had ordered an iced chocolate and an apple and cinnamon muffin, Louis ordered a cappuccino and a chocolate muffin. ‘So how are you?’ I asked Louis taking a spoonful of ice cream from the glass. ‘I’ve been good thanks, all of my exams went well…. I think,’ Louis said with a smile. ‘That’s awesome,’ I said, ‘how long until you get your results?’

‘Not too long now,’ Louis said taking another bite of his muffin.

‘Well let me know how you went as soon as you know,’ I said eagerly, I was excited for Louis.

‘So how are you doing?’ Louis asked looking over at my frame.

‘Actually really well,’ I said. ‘The doctor thinks that I’ll be able to get rid of it soon,’ I said gesturing at the frame sitting at the table next to us. ‘That’s so great Jess,’ Louis said before letting out a sigh. ‘I’m so sorry again,’ he shook his head and continued eating.  ‘Louis, you did the right thing by me when you broke up with her. No one could’ve predicted what she was going to do. And the fact that it broke my back is sheer chance!’ I said, Louis smiled a little, a waitress cleared out plates. ‘You are the strongest and bravest person I know,’ Louis said as we stood up and walked over to the counter to pay, I smiled. ‘Even though you’re younger than me, Jess you’re my hero,’ I smiled I missed Louis, we had a really special friendship. We stopped at the video shop before getting back to my house.

Louis and I hired Ferris Buller’s Day Off, we love that movie and we have seen it a million times. However we still hired because it’s so funny, we also bought some lollies and popcorn.

When we got home I put the movie straight into the DVD player. Louis opened the popcorn and the snakes and we sat and watched the movie. About 30 minutes in a got a phone call from Jai, I ignored the call. I ignored it one because I was mad at him and two because I was enjoying spending time with my step brother. 10 minutes later Jai texted me 'hey,' I sighed. 'I’ll call you later I’m busy.'

After the movie Louis helped me to pack up the mess we had made, we had a competition to see who could catch the most popcorn in their mouth. Neither of us was very good at it, there was popcorn everywhere.

Dad got home just after we had finished cleaning up, convenient I thought to myself. 'Jess I’m home,' dad called as he walked into the kitchen, I walked over and gave him a hug. 'Hello Louis,' dad said looking across the kitchen. 'Hi Joel,' Louis replied giving dad's hand a shake. 'Well id better be off jess, I'll see you soon,' Louis said making his way to the door. I gave him a hug and said goodbye.

'That was nice of Louis to come visit,' dad commented looking in the freezer for something to have for dinner. 'Yeah,' I replied, 'we went out to a cafe and caught up. It was really nice,' I said sitting at the table. Dad pulled some sausages out from the freezer, 'yum' I exclaimed with a grin. Dad put the sausages in the microwave and let them defrost.

While I was waiting for dinner I watched TV, I was going to wait to call Jai until after dinner. Dad callers to the table and we ate, we chatted over dinner.

Afterwards I grabbed my phone and headed to my room, I called Jai's number and sat on my bed, 'hello?' he answered.