Chapter 21

JESS’S POV

I slowly began to wake up, before I even gotten a chance to open my eyes I felt it. The unbearable pain in my back, it was almost paralysing. ‘JAI!’ I screamed before bursting out into tears. He ran to my side and smiled,

‘You’re awake!’ He said with relief, the smile quickly left his face when he looked up to see me crying. ‘What is it Jess?’ he asked concerned.

‘Ow!’ I cried, ‘My back Jai! Make it stop.’

‘Luke!’ He yelled, Luke jumped to his feet, he looked exhausted. ‘Go get a doctor, tell them she’s in pain, hurry!’ Jai shouted grabbing my hand. I continued to scream and cry, the pain was unbearable. Luke ran back into the room, then a doctor and a nurse walked in, ‘Jess what is it?’ She asked calmly.

‘The pain in my back!’ I screamed, I couldn’t take it. She quickly grabbed out a needle, she jabbed it into my arm.

‘It’ll only take a minute to start working.’ I continued crying for a minute, squeezing Jai’s hand. Then it started going away, I calmed down, the throbbing in my head continued, but that was nothing to what I was feeling only a minute earlier. The doctors explained that they wanted to take x-rays to see what was going on, they wheeled me out, leaving Jai and Luke in the room. The x-rays were hard, I could barely move, they were asking me to move into all of these positions but I couldn’t do it. They returned me to my room, Luke and Jai hadn’t moved since I had left. Before the nurse left I asked her to help me sit up, I really didn’t like lying down like that. It was really painful to sit up but I preferred it.

I looked around the room, ‘The flowers are nice,’ I said pointing to the table, ‘Oh and the bear!’

‘Beau and Luke bought them in on Saturday,’ Jai said with a smile.

‘Oh, what day is it today?’ I asked, a little surprised.

‘It’s Tuesday,’ Luke added.

‘Are you serious? I’ve been out for nearly three days!’ I was shocked, but that explained the constant headache I had. ‘Yep, Jai’s been her the whole time,’ Luke added. Wow I thought to myself.

‘Thanks so much Jai,’ I said grinning, he really cared.

‘And I’m not leaving until you’re released,’ he added with a nod.

I smiled when I saw the One Direction posters hanging on the wall opposite me, they were me two favourite pictures of the boys. ‘The posters?’ I asked giggling.

‘Ashleigh bought those in for you,’ Jai replied with a chuckle. Luke walked over to me and gave me a hug.

‘I’m so glad to see that you’re okay, but I’ve got to go to footy training.’ He said waving and walking out the door. I looked at Jai, a little confused, ‘aren’t you going too?’

‘I’m not leaving til you’re allowed to.’ He said looking into my eyes. I blushed and smiled, that was so sweet. My thoughts were interrupted by my doctor walking into the room. ‘We have examined your x-rays,’ the doctor sighed. I squeezed Jai’s hand, this is what happened last time, it was going to be bad news. ‘You’ve fractured a third vertebrae. You will be able to walk again, but in time.’

‘That’s like last time? I was stressed for nothing.’ I said, I let out a big sigh of relief.

‘It won’t be that simple,’ the doctor said. ‘It will be at least a month of physical therapy before you can walk with a frame.’ I started to cry, ‘and I can’t see you getting rid of a brace for over six months. I’m really sorry, I’ll give you some time then we’ll get you measured up.’ I nodded; he walked out the door and shut it behind him. The tears streamed down my face, I looked over to see Jai crying too. I looked at him and smiled, ‘its okay Jai. It’s not the end of the world, I’m going to be able to walk again and honestly, that’s all that really matter to me at the moment.’ He stood up and gave me a hug. ‘I’m so proud of you,’ he smiled and wiped the tears off my face I giggled. The doctor walked back in with a nurse, ‘Jai, go get us some food. I’m so hungry, don’t know about you!’ He nodded and walked out.

It took about 10 minutes to get measured up. It all seemed too familiar for comfort, ‘Thanks Jess, it’ll take a day or two to make, but as soon as we fit you up you’ll be able to leave.’

‘Thank you’ I said as they walked out the door.

A minute or so after Jai walked through the door. Carrying McDonalds bags, ‘You’re a legend!’ I said smiling.

‘Not smancy just a little bit fancy.’ Jai said with a wink, I couldn’t help but laugh. ‘I bought you the usual,’ he added. ‘Yay! Thanks,’ I said as Jai handed me over my food. ‘You even bought me a frappe, thanks!’ Jai smiled and started eating, he was acting a little weird, I could tell that there was something on his mind.

We finished eating and both went to sleep, we were both so tired

-The next day-

JAI’S POV

I woke up before Jess, I sat there watching her sleep, it was better than all the other times because I knew she was going to wake up. I really didn’t want to do it, but a jealous fan had done this to Jess, I couldn’t bear to do it but I couldn’t see her get hurt again.