Chapter 32

JESS’S POV

‘Hey Jai,’ I answered continuing to get ready.

‘Hey babe, look um… something’s come up and I can’t come to Physical Therapy with you today.’ Jai said, I could tell he felt bad. ‘What are you doing?’ I asked.

‘We’re looking at cars,’ Jai replied, I headed to the kitchen to make myself some breakfast.

‘Is that for your mum’s Christmas present?’

‘Yeah,’ Jai replied.

‘Good, you make sure you buy your mother a good present, she deserves it.’ I said before continuing, ‘I hope you spend all of your money on that lovely woman. Thanks for letting me know, I’ll be around in like 20 minutes. Bye,’

‘Bye,’ Jai replied as he hung up the phone. I continued getting ready, before long it was time to go.

 I jumped into dad’s car. When we rocked up at the Brooks’ house the boys were already sitting out the front, Luke and Jai jumped up when we pulled up in front of their house. Luke and Jai hopped into the car and we headed off to school, today would be our last day. In other words we were going to do nothing, but I’m not going to complain!

I spent the day with Cassie; we shared all of the same classes today. I wanted to ask her if she would come with me tonight, but I was too scared. Too scared of what she would think of me, I didn’t want her to see me in that state. I didn’t want anyone to see me like that to be honest. So I didn’t ask her, I was going to go it alone today.

Cassie could tell there was something on my mind; she tried to bring it up in conversation a few times. But I made sure to not bring it up; I loved Cassie, but there’s some things I just need to keep to myself.

At the end of the day Luke & Jai walked home, dad picked me up from the front gate. We headed straight to the hospital today; I didn’t feel like getting changed. Today I just wanted to get it over and done with, having Jai or Luke with me made it easier to bear. But today I just didn’t want to do it. Dad offered to come in with me, but I told him I’d be fine on my own.

When we got to the hospital Dad and I sat in the waiting room, he grabbed a car magazine and began to read. Typical dad I thought to myself, I sat down and looked at the TV. We were in the Children’s Ward, as always. I felt so out of the place, all of the children were younger than me and was worse off. I felt that I was taking doctors away from them, many of the children were suffering from cancer, I could only tell because many of them had little or no hair. SpongeBob Squarepants was on, I smiled a little and begun to watch. We were going to be in here a while, we were about half an hour early because we didn’t hang around at home first. I looked around the colourful room to see a few children starring, some really young and some close to my age. They were looking at my brace; I felt my face burn up. I met their glances with smiles, a young girl approached me, and she hopped up onto the chair next to me. ‘Hello,’ I greeted her with a soft voice; she looked about 9 years old. ‘My name is Jen,’ she said. She was a beautiful young girl, she was very brave coming to speak to me, but I appreciated it. ‘Hi Jen, my name’s Jess. What are you doing here?’ She flashed a cute smile back at me. ‘I’m here for Chemotherapy,’ she said, looking down at her feet. The thought of this gorgeous girl being put through something so stressful hurt me. ‘What are you here for?’ She asked with a curious look. I sighed, looking at my frame; Jen was staring intently at it. ‘I’m learning to walk again,’ I said as she looked up at me again.

‘Why do you have to learn to walk?’ She asked

‘I broke my back,’ she gasped. And look really surprised.

‘Wow,’ is all she managed to get out. I looked up to see a woman scanning the room; I could tell she was looking for someone. ‘Jen, is that your mum?’ I asked pointing at the woman across the room. She nodded and jumped out of her seat. ‘See you around Jen, good luck.’ I said waving goodbye, her mother smiled relieved to have found her, they then followed a nurse into a corridor. ‘She was a cutie,’ Dad commented looking up from his magazine.

‘She was gorgeous,’ I said watching them walk off into the distance. ‘And what she is going through is just insane. My problems are nothing compared to hers, she still has a positive outlook on everything, and it’s nice.’ I said to dad, he nodded in agreement. I was so glad to have spoken to her, today was a turning point for me. I was going to appreciate everything, because I’m blessed. Even at the worst of times there are individuals worse off than me.

My thoughts were interrupted by a nurse, ‘you ready Jess?’ She asked, I nodded, grabbed my frame and stood up.

‘See you soon bub,’ Dad said waving as the nurse lead me to the room.

The session wasn’t so bad, I did miss one of the boys’ company but I lived. When we got out I met dad in the waiting room, I looked around to see if Jen was there. But I couldn’t see her, I was disappointed I wanted to ask her how she went but I couldn’t. Dad and I made another appointment and headed home.

Dad grabbed my frame out of the boot and we walked up to the front door. On the doormat sat a box of chocolates and a card. I picked them up with a smile, ‘Sorry I couldn’t be there,’ was all that was written, simple but effective I thought to myself. Dad unlocked the house and we went inside. I was so tired, today had been an extra long session, it was quarter past six and I was pretty much ready for bed. I had a quick bite to eat before giving Jai a call, ‘Hey babe,’ he answered. ‘Hello, thanks for the chocolates,’ I said sitting on my bed.

‘You’re welcome, how was it?’

‘Pretty good, boring without you though!’ I said with a giggle. Jai laughed back. ‘Well I really need a rest, but I’ll talk to you in the morning?’ I asked, hopeful he hadn’t already made plans.

‘Yeah, we have to do something.’ Jai said, ‘See you in the morning,’

‘See you later Jai.’ And with that I hung up and went to bed.