Chapter 28

JESS’S POV

It was about 4pm when we arrived back at the boys’ house. ‘I think I’ll go home and spend some time with my dad.’ I said sitting on the couch. ‘That’s cool,’ Jai replied, ‘all we’re planning on doing is editing anyway.’ I nodded and got out my phone. ‘Hey dad, can you come pick me up? <3’ I went into the twin’s room and packed up my things. My phone buzzed, ‘I’m on my way.’ I walked back into the living room and sat down; I couldn’t carry my bags, so I’d have to wait for dad. After a few minutes there was a knock at the door, James answered it because he was going to head home too. ‘Hello,’ Dad said as James let him into the house.

‘Hi I’m James, nice to meet you.’ James said shaking dad’s hand.

‘Joel,’ Dad replied as he walked over to me.

‘Bye James!’ I called to James as he walked out the door; he smiled and closed it behind him. ‘My stuff’s just in the twin’s room.’ I said to dad as I pointed down the hall. Dad came back holding my stuff; I followed him out to the car. ‘Bye Beautiful,’ Jai said giving me a hug and kissing me on the forehead. ‘4pm again?’ Jai asked as dad put my frame in the back and I jumped into the car. ‘Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow,’ I replied with a smile, I shut the car door. Jai waved as we drove home. ‘So I hired some movies, I thought we could hang out tonight.’ Dad said as we pulled into the garage.

‘That sounds awesome dad,’ I said getting out of the car, dad handed me my frame and I walked into the house. I slumped onto the couch; dad joined me after he put my things in my room. ‘I thought we’d have an action marathon.’ Dad said as he put a DVD into the player. ‘Awesome,’ I replied as he sat back on the couch. ‘What movies have you got?’ I asked as the ads started. ‘We’ve got Iron Man 1& 2, Captain America, The Hulk and The Avengers. I put in Iron Man.’ ‘What a line up!’I said as dad pressed play.

We watched Iron Man 2, when it finished it was about 7pm. So dad and I made dinner, we sat down and ate it. Dad was putting everything in the dishwasher; ‘In west Philadelphia born and raised’ I picked up my phone, ‘Hello’ I answered. ‘Jess thank god,’ it was my mum, ‘Jess why haven’t you called? You need to come home.’ Mum continued in a threatening voice. ‘I am home mum,’ I replied, I had no idea what she was playing at.

‘Your father obviously isn’t doing a good job of looking after you, I mean look what....’

‘Don’t you dare blame this on dad, it’s not his fault’ I yelled, cutting her off. I was absolutely furious; she had no idea what she was talking about. ‘It’s your fault mum! I’m staying here!’ I said continuing to yell.

‘What do you mean this is my fault?’ she asked, I had made her angry. I didn’t reply straight away, ‘What do you mean?’ she screamed. ‘Ask Louis,’ I said calmly and with that I hung up the phone. Dad walked into the room e sat down next to me. ‘Are you alright darling?’ he said giving me a hug, I nodded.

‘It’s okay, and I want to make sure that you know that none of this is your fault dad.’ I said looking right into dad’s eyes. ‘You know I’ll always feel partly responsible Jess, I’

‘No dad, none of this, none of this! Is your fault! Do you understand?’ I said do dad and he nodded and chuckled. ‘So shall we watch Captain America before calling it a night?’ I asked making my way over to the DVD player and taking out the current DVD. ‘Yeah sounds like a plan.’ Dad went and made us some popcorn, he returned after a few minutes and we watched the movie.

It was 9ish when the movie finished, I knew it was early but in this state I get tired really quickly. I said goodnight to dad and went to bed.

-The next day-

JESS’S POV

I got up and had some breakfast; dad was already sitting at the table with a bowl of muesli. ‘Therapy at 4?’ Dad asked looking up from his breakfast. ‘Yep, as always,’ I replied, joining him at the table. Dad stood up and packed away his stuff. ‘I’ll see you later kiddo.’ I smiled and waved as dad left for work.

The next few weeks were the same, I really wanted to go to school but the doctor said that I really should wait, so I did I didn’t want anything to compromise my recovery. I continued to stay at home and go to Physical Therapy, I am still walking with my frame, it’s a little disappointing but it could be worse.

 Last week I caught up with all of my friends from gymnastics, we went out to dinner. Ashleigh thought it would be a good idea, it was nice but the dinner was really painful for me. All of the girls were really nice, but they all tried to do everything for me, I don’t have much independence at the moment, but the small amount that I do have is so important to me and it felt like they were disrespecting that, not intentionally of course. The other really hard thing was the fact that they’re all well gymnasts, and I miss the sport so much. Amber, Ashleigh and Amie are all at the peak in their careers, they’re all going to represent Australia in a meet in Canada. I’m so excited for them but, well that could’ve been me. It was hard to sit and hear how well they were doing, I was so happy for the three of them but it was killing me inside. Dad came and picked me up afterwards, I thanked all of the girls for making the effort to come see me and wished them well for the meet in two weeks time.

I headed home and went straight to bed, like I did just about every night. Walking and getting around really takes it out of me, which is hard but there’s nothing I can do about it.