chapter 27

*Caitlyn's p.o.v*

I knew he chose her. There's no way he wouldn't have.

I tried running away, but my feet wouldn't move. My eyes wouldn't move either.

I took a small step back.

Troy caught up with me and looked at me cluelessly.

He followed my eyes once again like last time amd saw what I was looking at.

He shook his head from right to left and started walking towards them.

I instantly grabbed his arm.

"What are you doing," I manage to say.

"What do you think I'm doing," he growls. He was mad. Mad that someome hurt his bestfriend.

"Please don't. Troy please," I beg him.

I look behind Troy and see Hayes looking at me.

His eyes have hurt, confusion, disappointment, and fear in them.

Troy sees our eye contact and turns around to Hayes.

Hayes gets up and starts walking over here. Troy steps in front of me, making it look like Hayes was about to hit me or something.

"Troy..." I whisper.

Hayes reaches to us, Alexa following behind him.

Alexa didn't seem happy. She actually looked really sad.

"Look douche bag, Caitlyn's not really feeling well, and I bet you would make it 10 times harder on her if you got involved," Troy says.

Both me ang Hayes are shocked at his choice of words.

"Troy stop," I whisper.

Hayes' eyes are pleading me to let him talk.

"I'll talk to him," I say, thanking Troy.

He nods and leaves Hayes and me alone.

I hope this goes well.

"Caitlyn look..." He starts.

"Hayes it's fine. You chose Alexa and I'm totally fine with that. I get why too, so you don't need to be sorry. I totally understand," I say, lying to Hayes and myself.

"Just-," he starts again.

I raise my hand for him to stop. I would let him explain, but if I heard him say more than 2 words about him being sorry, I would've broken down into tears and make a fool out of myself.

I turn around and nod at Troy who follows me.

"I think I'll pass on Pink," I swallow the lump in my throat and keep my tears behind my eyes.

"Yea, me too," Troy says.

We both decide to ride home.

*Hayes' p.o.v*

"Hayes I'm really so-," Alexa tries to put her hand on my shoulder.

I dodge her hand.

She steps back and look down at her shoes.

I couldn't believe this. Today was supposed to be perfect. Not be ruined with the girl I didn't choose.

"If you want I could just leave, and give you time to think," Alexa says.

"No, I don't need more thinking. You already know my answer and I don't want it to change," I say.

"Oh...okay...I'll just leave then," Alexa says and walks away.

I kind of feel bad for her.

But Caitlyn has it all wrong.

I was heading out my house to get the day ready, but Alexa was waiting for me outside and wanted to talk so I agreed to talk, and she decided to go to the mall across from my house. I told her I chose Caitlyn, then she got all crazy and begged for me to choose herself instead.

I didn't choose Alexa. I chose Caitlyn. Caitlyn doesn't understand.

I quickly got up and ran to my house and tried calling Caitlyn. She wouldn't pick up for the 4th time, so I just texted her.

Hey Caitlyn, we really need to talk. You don't understand, it's really important and I NEED you to come over as soon as possible.

I got a reply about 10 minutes later.

Coming.

I got excited that she actually agreed to come back, so I cleaned my room and told my family that Caitlyn was coming over.

I soon saw a familiar white car drop by and saw Caitlyn climb out of it.

I rushed downstairs and opened the door before Caitlyn even rang the doorbell.

"Hey," that was all I could start with.

"Hi," she mumbled.

"Let's go to my room," I said, opening the door wide, for her to come in.

We both went up to my room and she closed the door as soon as she got in.

"So what'd you want to talk about," she asked.

"Well, here's the thing," I started.

*Caitlyn's p.o.v*

"Caitlyn, I need you to know that I didn't choose Alexa. I chose you," Hayes said, scratching the back of his neck.

What?

"Wait...then how come you didn't text or call me or anything...And you two were hanging out today," I said.

"Okay I can explain all of this. So as soon as I decided that I chose you, I didn't want to tell you over text, I wanted to tell you face to face and suprise you. I was going to tell you today, but then Alexa was waiting out my door and said that we needed to talk, and when I agreed, she took me to the mall and tried begging me for me to choose her instead of you but I kept telling her no and that's when you came," he was out of breath now.

How can I believe him? I need time to think.

"How do I know you're telling the truth," I say, not being able to make eye contact with him.

I really wanted to believe him though and have things go back to the way it was.

"Because you're more special to me than Alexa is. I love you a lot more than I ever did for Alexa. You make me a lot happier than she ever did," he said, begging me for my trust.

I really wanted to believe him. I just wanted to kiss him and cuddle with him.

"I....I don't know. I have to think," I say.

Why did I say that? Why couldn't I have just said okay and hugged him?

I turn around with regret and start to the door.

I grab the doorknob and feel a hand on my stomach.

He pulls me in so my back in flat on his stomach.

He hugs my stomach and leans his chin on my shoulder.

"Please don't go," he whispers, "please believe me."

My words fail me and I can't think of anything to say right now with the feeling Hayes is giving me.

I let go of the doorknob.

"Let go of me," I whisper.

I could feel the pain in his eyes and as soon as he lets go of my stomach, I turn around, grab his face, and make our lips make contact.