81: Natalie

Natalie got changed, and then sat on the couch with wine while Evie finished up what she was reading. Then they cooked together, which was nice, even though cooking together mostly meant Evie, quite bossily, telling Natalie what to cut up next. Natalie chopped vegetables, and Evie stir-fried them, and it felt comfortable. It felt like what they needed after a day like it had been.

Natalie was still thinking about Meredith, though, in a vaguely worried and irritated way. She wanted to be sure Evie wasn’t upset, and more importantly, she needed to warn Evie that Meredith might be back tomorrow, or at least ask how much Evie minded if Meredith was. Natalie wasn’t sure how to start, how to bring it up, so as they ate she just said, “I had three phone calls today from people telling me how horrible I’m being to Meredith.”

Evie thought for a moment then said, “Horrible how? You haven’t done anything.”

Natalie shrugged.

“Oh,” Evie said, and sipped her water. “So she told people? Isn’t that a bit… I don’t know… Odd? Doesn’t it remind everyone she’s an awful person?”

“She won’t think so.”

“Obviously not.”

“I don’t know who she told,” Natalie said. “I mean, I assume she told one person who told ten, most likely.”

“Of course,” Evie said, and started to grin. “And the part about her being an awful person…?”

“I’m ignoring that part,” Natalie said. “Stop grinning.”

“I’m not,” Evie said. “I stopped. So what people? Like all your friends? That ones we never do anything with?”

Natalie nodded. “My old friends, yes. Who haven’t talked to me in years and probably still tell her she’s right to have done what she did.”

Natalie hadn’t meant to sound miserable, and didn’t think she had, but Evie looked at her as if she thought Natalie was upset, and was wondering what to say.

“I’m fine,” Natalie said. “Don’t look like that.”

Evie nodded. “So that bothers you?” she said. “People taking her side?”

“A bit, yes.”

“I’m sorry,” Evie said. “That it happened.”

“Don’t be. I’m fine. And it means that now there’s you.”

“Yep,” Evie said, and smiled. She spiked a green bean on her fork, and ate it, then said, “I suppose they might think you’re paying her back or something. These people who’re taking sides and talking about you. They might think you’re paying her back by being with me, if you see what I mean.”

“They might,” Natalie said, and then, in case it needed saying, “I’m not.”

“I know.”

“Good.”

Evie ate another bean. She had pushed all the green beans to the side of her bowl, and seemed to be eating them last, after the noodles and other vegetables. “So are you upset about all this?” Evie said. “What I did this morning, I mean?”

Natalie shook her head.

“Really you aren’t? Or you think you ought not be.”

Natalie looked at Evie, surprised.

“Perceptive,” Evie said. “Remember? So…?”

“I’m not really upset.”

“So you are a little?”