55: Natalie

On Tuesday lunchtime Natalie phoned Evie, mostly just to hear her voice. She felt a little silly, but did anyway, and was glad she had as soon as Evie answered. It was good to hear Evie, and Evie seemed pleased to hear from Natalie too. She said hi, and asked where Natalie was, and Natalie said court, assuming Evie wouldn’t need to know more, but Evie said, “Which one? Which building?”

“Oh,” Natalie said. “The Supreme Court, in the city.”

“Doing lawyery stuff?”

“I’m instructing,” Natalie said. “If that’s what you mean.”

“Sitting quietly while a barrister argues?” Evie said.

“Yes.”

“Are you? Sitting quietly?”

Natalie smiled. “Yes. And sometimes passing pieces of paper over too.”

“What’s it about,” Evie said. “The case?”

“Tax. Nothing interesting.”

“Maybe I think that is interesting.”

“Maybe that’s exactly why I’m suddenly remembering client confidentiality.”

Evie laughed. “Okay,” she said. “I only just woke up.”

“It’s lunchtime.”

“Yep. So?”

“Nothing,” Natalie said. “Never mind.”

Evie laughed again. “What are you doing?” she said.

“Having lunch.”

“What is it?”

“A muffin.”

“You should eat proper food.”

Natalie sighed. “I know.”

“Are you in the café?” Evie said.

“I am.”

“I’ve never been inside it,” Evie said. “I’ve seen it, but I’ve never been inside.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know. It just seemed private, you know? For real lawyers. Not for me yet.”

“It’s a public café.”

“And all the same.”

“Would it help if I was with you?”

“Yep, actually.”

“We’ll go sometime,” Natalie said, then impulsively, “Or now?”

“Now?”

“Yes, if you like,” Natalie said, suddenly hoping to see Evie. “I’m about to go back in, but we’ll be done in an hour or so if you were free then.”

Evie didn’t answer, and Natalie suddenly wondered if that was odd, asking Evie to come into the city just to have coffee in a fairly average café. It probably was, she decided. She was probably being unreasonable. Evie probably had other things that she needed to be doing. “Sorry,” Natalie said. “I mean, just if you can, but you’re probably busy. I completely understand…”

“What?” Evie said. “No, I’ll come.”

“You’re sure? You didn’t sound that interested?”

“I didn’t sound that awake,” Evie said. “I’m half-asleep. In an hour, yeah?

“You don’t have something else you should be doing?”