Chapter 19

Luna

Octavia was not suited for pregnancy. It was her weak Skaigirl body, I was sure of it. Her friends coddled her every second of every day. They were constantly by her side with a bin for her vomit and something to eat just so she could vomit it up again. It was disgusting.

I walked past Lexa's room one day. Both doors were open to encourage circulation. I peeked inside to see Lexa and Clarke and all their friends gathered around. Octavia was perched back on Lincoln. Raven and Bellamy were on the floor, their legs crossed. Lexa and Clarke sat back on the couch. Clarke was holding Seren. They were all laughing and having fun. They hadn't thought to include me.

I felt a breath on the back of my neck.

"They do not deserve you." Deacon whispered. I hated the fact that he had caught me watching longingly.

"And you do?" I joked.

"Not in a thousand lifetimes."

I blushed at the warmth of him being so close. We surely had been making up for lost time. After his return, we had stayed at Polis for a few days, as he promised, and made our way to Florkru. Sangha's condition seemed to have improved, and Kass had abandoned her training to be the next clan leader for the moment to return to frolicking off in the woods with her most recent lover. Deacon didn't like her behavior and neither did Sangha but I loved it as long as it kept her distracted and off my throne.

My people had accepted me back with open arms. While they loved Sangha, they'd be ready anytime to take me back as their Queen and Deacon as their King.

Sangha was very happy to see his son. Kass, despite her cold exterior, bared her emotions when her brother had returned. Deacon and Kass had become very close when their mother had died. Kass was at the point in her life in which a girl needed her mother the most.

I came back to the present, with Deacon close to my face. I grabbed his hand and led him away from the doorway. I didn't want Lexa or her friends to see us and invite us in out of pity.

"I know you didn't do much while you were gone...," I said. "But you never told me what exactly you had been doing. Farming? Did you have a trading post?"

I had been trying to get the answer ever since he came back, but he always found a way to change the subject, which made me increasingly more suspicious. I didn't want to be suspicious of him—he was my husband. But he also wasn't the lighthearted, sweet teenage boy I married.

He sighed and brushed his hair back. His hair was long and curly, rivaling my own in both aspects. I liked it, but I missed how he used to wear it. It was more like him.

"I had a few animals I lived off of for a few years. I grew food for myself. Then I sold them. I traveled to almost every clan." He said.

"Doing what?" I asked quickly.

"Learning. How to be a healer." He explained.

I smiled. He wasn't doing anything I would be upset about. In fact, he was doing something good. He was doing something nice.

"Really?"

He nodded.

"Did you have friends? Did you talk to anyone?" Now I wasn't suspicious. I just hoped he hadn't been completely alone.

"I was close with the healers I apprenticed under." He said, tucking a piece of hair behind his ear. "I kept to myself mostly."

I nodded. The old Deacon didn't keep to himself, in fact, he was the most loved man in all of Flokru. He said to everyone he passed by. Children loved playing with him. The elderly loved him when he helped with the heavy lifting. He was a natural born leader, and it showed.