Chapter 48

Merida's POV
*•*•*•*•*•*•*

"Mum, you have to listen to me. I'm tellin' the truth! And you have to help me get back!" I plead for the billionth time, trying hard not to beat the sense into my mother.

Yes, my mother. Somehow, I'm back home. Back in my castle with my overbearing - and yes, loving too - parents and extremely annoying little brothers. I didn't think it possible to actually miss any of them...

Yet here we are.

My mother furrows her eyebrows, her arms crossed and one hand up and caressing her chin in thought as she stands in the middle of my room. My own arms are crossed over my chest, but for a different reason. Annoyance and impatience are both waring within me, and it's all I can do to not just pick up my bow and quiver and sprint out of here to find my own solution to this problem.

The problem is, I have zero idea how to get out of here. And by "here," I mean this world. Unfortunately, I doubt my mother really knows too much about this either. But isn't it worth a try? I doubt I'd be much better, out there in the woods running around senselessly hoping to find a way back.

Portals. Why did it have to be portals?

I can deal with giant, man-eating bears and the occasional magical wisp or spell, but portals? Other worlds? How am I supposed to deal with any of that?

Not alone, that's for sure, even if, in the past, I've worked fine on my own, with my bow and arrows. But this time, I admit, I need help.

So yes, I'm asking my mother, no matter how low the odds of her actually being able to help are.

Finally, after what feels like another eternity, my mother responds, "Well, even if what yer saying is in fact true...I don't have any clue of what to make of it." Her words are simple, matter of fact. And, although I was expecting them, that doesn't make hearing them any less frustrating.

"Arghhh," I groan, gripping my unruly red hair in my hands as I turn away from her. "Well isn't this just perfect! I finally get home, but I have to leave, and I have absolutely no means to do it!" I face the door to the bedroom, arms crossed over my chest. "Talk about bad luck," I grumble, eyes trained on the floor. Frustration with being utterly helpless threatens to spill over.

Calm down, Merida. You're supposed to be a princess, even if you're not very proper. Don't lose your head completely; you'll need it to find a way back.

Momentary fear causes my body to stiffen and my throat to tighten. What if I can't find a way back? What if while all my friends are fighting with Pitch Black or whatever his name is, I'm stuck here, away from adventure and back to my dreaded royal duties?

Although, now that going back home has helped me recover my memory - which did come as quite the shock - I do know that it was much, much worse, especially before Mor'du and the spell I kinda sorta accidentally placed onto my mother. In the end, it did help me realize my fate, and how I will be the one to decide it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really feel like my fate is in my own hands this time. If this is Pitch's doing...well, let's just say that I won't hesitate to put an arrow through this face. Or maybe even a few arrows. Either way, I'll do it gladly.

A hand rests lightly on my shoulder, and I jump, having gone into my own little fantasy world of making Pitch pay royally for all of this. Turning my face, my eyes meet those of my mother, soft and concerned.

"Merida, I'm not really sure of what is going on. But whatever it is...are you sure you want to leave? You've finally come home, after all this time, and..." Her voice catches briefly. I try not to allow my mouth to drop open. My mother, the queen, isn't talking with full eloquence? Full confidence?