Chapter 39

Jack's POV
*•*•*•*•*•*

"Elsa!" I scream, rushing forward through the air. The portal is still open. I can still make it. Pitch has already gone inside as well, but I could care less about that pale creep.

I can see it about to close, see the image behind it of a familiar castle slowly begin to flicker away.

"No!" I yell, putting on more speed. I have to make it. I have to-

The portal disappears a second before I reach it, and I slam into the wall behind it. I curse immediately, slamming my fist into the wall,"Come on! Open up! Elsa!"

I slam my hand into the wall again, but I know that each effort is futile. There's nothing I can do. I'm powerless.

I lean my head against the wall and place both palms next to it, the fight running out of me,"No..." I whisper, clenching my teeth and squeezing my eyes shut,"Please...Elsa...I'm so sorry. I'm so..."

I sink to my knees and turn around, sitting with my back facing the wall, my head leaned back against it.

I hate feeling powerless. Feeling like a failure. All I want to do is do something. But what can I do? I can't open a portal like Elsa, (which is an extremely new development for me), so there is no way I can go back to Arendelle. That has been proven obvious over the past couple years. There is a reason that I'm still stuck here.

But, I do know that I have to think of something. Sitting here in self pity and loathing won't do a thing for Elsa. So, using my staff to stand, I lift off in the air and head back over to the dorm. I've made up my mind. If we're going to find out anyway to pull this off, I'll need all hands on deck. In other words, all of my crazy friends and myself will have to pull it together in order to work this out.

As I fly through the crisp night air, thoughts flow through my mind. After hearing all that had happened with Elsa, what had been going on all this time that I had been oblivious to...I don't know what to think. At first, finding out that Elsa had been working with Pitch, in a way, had made me angry, confused, and shocked. I hadn't expected it. Even though I should have. It all always led back to Pitch, didn't it?

But now  I understand. But understanding causes me more pain, more anger. But angled towards myself.

Elsa had been blackmailed. First with her sister, (who paid the price), and next with me and everyone else she cares about. How had I been so blind? So stupid? If I had figured out sooner, pressed her more about it, than I would have known, and I would have been able to save her.

But, of course, I had been a second too late.

So many things had changed. So much had happened only in this first semester. A couple years of peace had only been a time before a huge oncoming storm reached us. And it's here. And we, of course, were not prepared for it when it reached us.

And here we are now. So much tragedy and crisis upon us. And we can barely do a thing.

But I intend to change that.

I finally reach Elsa's balcony, trying my hardest to ignore the pang in my chest at the sight of her familiar dorm.

"Hey Jack! Have you seen Elsa anywhere? We've been looking all over for her."

I lift my face up and see Punzie sitting on her bed, her fit criss-crossed beneath her, Pastel sitting on her shoulder. A large smile is spread across her face, and my heart sinks as I think about where her best friend is. I release a breath before grasping the courage to speak,"Rapunzel...we...we need to gather the others in here."