Chapter 47

Rapunzel's POV
*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

For me, when it comes to fighting, or violence of any kind, I'm really not, well...I'm not too sophisticated about it. I'm more of a swing bang kinda girl, hoping that, when the frying pan hits, because it will hit, it'll do some damage. But this time, as Patchy swings his sword at me, I find that A, I do not currently have a frying pan, and B, I am basically defenseless.

Before I have the chance to utter a curse, the sword is on top of me. I duck hastily, a cry of surprise escaping my lips as I role to the ground.

Why is he trying to kill me? They've never done that before. Sure, they're bad, but-

Don't you remember? A voice whispers in the back of my mind. They're awful, horrible murderers. This is how it is. Don't doubt what is right in front of you and what you know!

I scramble to my feet, panting hard as I get into a ready stance.

What was that...that voice? It wasn't mine, that's for sure.

But Sideburns is charging at me again, and I have no more time to consider what just happened. I desperately search the area around me for anything that can be used for protection and spot our pile of clothes behind the bush. As the sword comes down, I dive towards it, my hands wrapping around the long wig. I push myself to my feet, Sideburns sneering in my direction.

"Why won't you just stay still, girl!" He growls.

I shove the growing fear in my chest aside and narrow my gaze, my hands tightening on the wig. In a flash, I race towards him, bringing the heavy wig up behind me with a loud cry. Surprised at my choice of attack, Sideburns falters, allowing the end of the braid to slam him in the face. I laugh with joy and satisfaction at the momentary victory, retreating back to a safer distance. I watch with a smirk as he reaches up to lightly caress the new welt rising on his face.

"Did you forget what Eu-Flynn said? You don't want me attacking you. So, how about you and Patchy over there turn tail and get out of here?" The confident expression still resides on my face, but anticipation for his answer, anticipation that I know, deep down, is pointless, starts my heart racing.

Sideburn's countenance only hardens, and my heart sinks. "I don't think so. We have every right to get revenge for what Flynn did to us. He broke our trust, the honor that we shared. There's no going back from that."

An exasperated expression breaks through my glare. "What's with you guys and this stupid Code? The name's even stupid, and it doesn't make any sense! Since when has there ever been honor among thieves? Especially among the likes of you!" And I mean every word. Not only have I never heard of this supposed vital Code - which I'm pretty sure Eugene would have told me about - but its very existence doesn't fit. But they can't be making it up, can they? Eugene's reaction when they mentioned it rules that out.

So what's this feeling in the back of my mind? Why does everything feel so wrong-?

Nothing's wrong!

I frown, backing up and positioning the wig in my hands accordingly in preparation to defend myself.

That voice, what is it? Who is it? I don't understand-

Sideburns swings the sword at me, my eyes widening when I realize just how close it is and how becoming so distracted was a big mistake-

I jump back as much as I can, but a burning pain lashes out on my side. I cry out in surprise and look down, watching as red begins to seep from a small cut on my side. Nothing serious, but still enough to cause a good amount of distraction. Wonderful! I reach down and press a hand to the cut, grimacing as I do my best to meet Sideburns' gaze unflinchingly.