Chapter 45

Hiccup's POV
*•*•*•*•*•*•*

"Okay...this is definitely not Elsa's castle..." I mutter, beginning to push myself to my feet.  Disoriented, I sway once I've assumed a standing position. My brows draw together as I survey the land in front of me. Even though I've never been to Arendelle, much less Elsa's ice castle, I am one hundred percent sure that this is definitely not Elsa's home.

However, everything does look unsettlingly familiar.

Everything around me is mainly ice, with a slight green tint to it. This fact alone lets me know that there is nothing normal about it. While there are some flat areas, a majority is jagged and long, stretching towards the sky even at some points. Further ahead, large wooden ships sit on the ocean, swaying to the swells of the water.

Most unsettling, however, is that I am alone.

Where is everyone? Where is Toothless?

Fear crosses my face as my eyes grow wide. I turn in circles frantically, searching the vast terrain for my dragon.

"Toothless!" I call frantically, beginning to run forward. I don't know where I'm going; all I know is that I have to find Toothless. If anything were to happen to him...

I work hard to shove those thoughts out of my mind, instead pushing forward with more determination than before. And that's when I see him.

Toothless is sprawled out on the ground in front of me a ways, unmoving. Fear spikes in my chest, and I race forward with even more speed than before. I reach him in a matter of seconds, sliding to the floor next to him on my knees.

"Toothless?" I try gently, going to rest my hand on the back of his head. He stirs, a small growl rising from his throat in response.

"It's me, Hiccup. I'm here bud, you're okay. Can you open your eyes for me?" I ask, my muscles taught with worry.

After an agonizing couple of seconds, he sluggishly opens his eyes, blinking slowly. I visibly relax, and when his eyes rest on me, they light up with happiness. I laugh as he dangles his tongue out of his mouth.

"Woah!" In a flash, Toothless goes to flip me over onto my back, licking me all over.

"Pleh-" I spit, trying to get his spit out of my mouth. "Come on, Toothless! What have I said about licking me?"

He whines, going to sit back on his haunches. I can almost hear his answer.

That it doesn't wash out...

I wipe my face with my forearm, "Exactly. How many times do I have to tell you?"

He whines again, looking to the side.

I role my eyes with no real anger, a small smirk playing on my lips, "Why do I even try? You'll just do it anyway."

He makes another soft growl in agreement, and now that this conversation has come to a close, our main problems come back to the forefront of my mind.

"Hey, Toothless," I start, pushing myself to my feet, "Do you have any idea where we are?"

He turns around, examining the terrain around us. I wait patiently as he lifts his nose to the air, sniffing around. Afterwards, he turns back to me and shakes his head.

Though I'm a little disappointed with his answer, I had a feeling that that was what it would ultimately end up being. I sigh, rubbing my face.

"That's okay buddy. I don't know either."

He comes over to stand by me, and I place my hand on the back of his head almost absently.

"Do you smell any of the others, or Astrid at least? It...it just doesn't make any sense that we would be alone..."