Chapter 44

Jack's POV
*•*•*•*•*•*

Chaos. That's what my entire world is for what feels like hours, but is probably only seconds. I am weightless, feeling as if I am being tossed around an emptiness filled with blinding light and overwhelming colors. Most eerie is the silence, and most frightening is how my breath left me in a rush the moment I stepped through the portal. I gasp for it, yet can't find it. This is nothing like how traveling through Santa's snow globe feels like. But, I guess that traveling through time is much, much different than simple transportation from the North Pole to the Tooth Palace.

Just when I feel as if I'm going to fully suffocate, I'm suddenly thrown forward harshly. I'm in the open air for a split second before crashing into something soft, something cold...

Snow.

I blink sluggishly, greatly disoriented. When I look up, the world is one large, mass blur of white and black. I blink again, my vision slowly beginning to clear. I grimace, pushing myself to my hands and knees. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my staff, snow quickly beginning to cover it. I reach over and grab it with my hand, intricate ice designs immediately tracing the wood at my touch. As I grasp the staff in my hand, my muscles loose their weight, and the fog clears from my brain.

With more confidence this time, I push myself to one foot, and then another, standing up straight. My senses return to me in a rush, and I stumble back a step, unprepared for the absence of the repercussions of traveling through the portal.

Snow blows my white hair all over the place, latching onto my eye lashes and blue hoodie. The wind whips my clothes around me, and if I wasn't the Spirit of Winter, I'm not sure how well I would be able to handle the harsh weather. I can only see a couple hundred feet ahead of me, the rest hidden by the violent torrent of white ahead of me. In addition, the darkness of the sky doesn't make surveying my surroundings any easier.

My eyes widen suddenly.

It is way too quiet. And knowing the group that I came here with, it should be anything but.

I whirl around, panic rising in my chest. When I don't see anything, that panic grows into pure, bone deep fear, threatening to overwhelm me. Using my ice, I am able to clear the area ahead of me. I grimace at the effort, the storm trying to fight against me.

Doing my best to fight the storm and search ahead of me, I use the wind to lift myself forward quickly. However, doing so means that I was laying off, if only slightly, the blizzard blowing around me. I realize this fact too late, and before I can compensate for my mistake, I'm set reeling forward wildly. I flail my staff around, trying to gain some sort of leverage over the wind that I'm supposed to control. Before I can hope to accomplish this, I smash face first into the snow. As quickly as I can, I push myself upwards and to my feet.

"Anna! Kristoff! Hiccup!" I continue yelling each name of the people that accompanied me here. After a few terrifying, all too quiet moments, I hear it. It's faint, but still there.

"J-Jack?"

I whirl around, moving towards the sound with a frantic pace.

"Anna?" I question loudly, surveying the blanket of white below my feet. Finally, after coming up empty, I see her. She is sprawled out unceremoniously on the ground, trying but failing to push herself to her feet. Each time she gets her chest off of the ground, she collapses heavily with exhaustion.

"Anna!" I exclaim, lightly jumping to her side.

"Jack..." she wearies with a weak smile, gratefully accepting my helping hand. Carefully, I lift her up, helping to support her so that she doesn't fall. I inspect her with a worried gaze.