Sign Up

"Lily do you want to come over to my house after school tomorrow?" Noel asked me as we sung back and fourth on the swing at the play ground during recess.
"If my father will let me, yes I would like to" I answered smiling back. Noel and I had become very close in the past two months of school. She was a very intelligent girl, she was one of the only girls around here who could hold a conversation to interest to me. We talked mostly about music and theater and occasionally Phantasma. I had revealed to her that my father was the owner, she had asked me if the rumors were true about him being the Phantom of the Opera. My answer was simply "Rumors are rumors for a reason" and she took it as a valid answer. I really hoped my Father being who he is and the way his past is, wouldn't effect my life, but I knew it would someday.
"Hi Noel, Hi Lily" the familiar Canadian accent of Ramin said, approaching us. He had dirt all over his face and a scrape on his cheek,
"Ramin? Whats happened to your cheek?" Noel said looking up at the dirty boy. His expression changed to embarrassment.
"Oh, well Chris Downey thought it would be funny to shove me around over in the woods, and he had about three other boys with him... so that didn't work out well for me i guess you could say" he did looking at his feet.
"Why don't you tell somebody?" Noel asked approaching him to get a better look at his cheek. He flinched at her touch be eventually let her take a closer look.
"It wouldn't make a difference, his father has more money than mine..." he looked at me in that moment, knowing I knew the truth. Ramin's father had barely anything. The only reason he could attend this school is because my father had paid for it. He tried to send all of his employees children to a good school system in hopes of giving them a higher education and better future. He was a generous man when it came to the people he cared for.
"And? That shouldn't matter" Noel said. She was so pure and innocent and did not know how the world really worked.
"It does, I'm lower on the social class ladder", he said sighing. He gave me a sad smirk. In the past few months I had reluctantly grown fond of Ramin. He was still obnoxious and loud, however, he had a good heart. He became like a brother to Noel and I.
"Well I know what could make you feel better. Lily is going to come over my house tomorrow after school, how about you join us?", Noel said. If this was a few months ago I would've objected, but he had slowly become my friend I guess you could say,
"Oh I couldn't, I don't wish to intrude." he said,
"Well I have an idea. Tomorrow is Friday, there are fireworks at Coney Island. We could go there and enjoy the park" ,I suggested. They both agreed, Noel a bit sheepishly. She still was timid about my father, and I couldn't blame her. He was intimidating. Ramin however, didn't fear his appearance, only the fact that he was his Father's employer and well respected.

The three of us ran to music class after recess. Ms. Allen had become my favorite teacher very quickly. She reminded me of my mother with her singing and the way she treated everyone with such kindness. She reminded me of a character named Mary Poppin's from a book father had read me some time ago. She was very maternal to us all, especially me.
"Oh! Well isn't it the three musketeers," she said with a warm smile as we walked through the door. We all giggled at her remark. Then the bell rang and we took our seats.
"All right, class today I have an announcement. We will be having a talent showcase, but I need performers. It will be held before thanksgiving break," she said. Noel looked at me with excitement. I already knew she would volunteer, as she was a very talented dancer.
"So, who is willing to preform?" ,she asked. I was sheepish about it, but I eventually raised my hand.
"Alright we have Noel, and Lily for now. I will place a sign up list at the front of the class," she said. Class continued as normal and the bell rang, but Ms Allen stopped me before I left,
"Lily, what do you plan on singing?", she asked. I hadn't given it much thought yet, Father would most likely have a recommendation for me.
"I'm not sure yet. My Father and i will figure something out," I said. She looked at me confused,
"Is your father a musician?" ,she asked.
"Yes, and a composer. My mother was a singer too," I said. I had never really talked about my family with many people. We had many secrets.
"They must be proud of you. Your voice is gorgeous," I blushed at her compliment.
"Thank you" I said hurrying out the door.

Ms Allen POV
She really did have the voice of a little angel and was just as sweet. I looked out the window of my classroom to see her scurry into a carriage. Outside there was a man she hugged, he wore black suit with a red tie, and on his face there was a mysterious white mask. Similar to the one the owner of Phantasma was rumored to wear. No, it couldn't be. Phantasma had offered to let us use the theater for our performance, and we had graciously accepted. The uncovered side of the man's face where Lily had just planted a kiss was quite handsome. He had a chiseled jaw line with high cheek bones, his eyes were green like emeralds and his hair that was raven black, meticulously slicked back. He looked around before climbing into the carriage. Mysterious indeed.