The Light Behind Your Eyes

Jakob's POV

Mom, dad and the Becker parents had decided to join us. They sat on the spare log, mom and dad cuddled together with a blanket around them. Max and dad set the twigs and wood placed in a pile in front of us on fire. Max and Cole grabbed their acoustic guitars and started singing. They started with 'On The Roof'. Alice rested her head on my shoulder and I had my arm around her waist, it was all so perfect. Seb and Tiana arrived and sat on the end of the log we were on. Tiana was seriously so annoying and such a flirt, how Seb puts up with her I don't know. She purposely sat near Cole and was just flirting with him so much when Seb was sat right next to her. Urgh. Kirsty eventually turned up and she had bought marshmallows and chocolate with skewers so we melted them over the flame. I kept my arm around Alice's waist, Cade was on his phone, Tiana was sat on Seb's lap, Kirsty was cuddled up with Travis and Max and Joey were sharing a blanket. Cole was also on his phone. I sent Cole a text as he looked sad.
'Everything ok man?'
'Not really Jake... Elise is sending me horrible texts...'
'Like what?'
'Saying how much of a waste of space I am, how much she regrets dating me... It sucks :( '
'Cole don't let her get to you, she's just a girl, you'll fine someone better I promise'
'Thanks Jakob, you're the best :)'
I looked up to see Cole smiling at me and Alice.
'Have you spoke to her?' He suddenly text me.
'Not yet...'
'Do it now!'
I just half smiled, half shrugged at Cole as I noticed him grinning at us.
"Everything ok?" Alice looked up at me.
"Yeah, wanna go for a walk?" I can't believe I really was going to do this.
"Sure" she smiled. I got up to tell mom that we were going to go for a walk quickly. I noticed Alice just telling Joey that we were going.
"Mom is it okay if Alice and I go for a walk along the beach?"
"That's fine sweetie, just stay safe, don't go in the forest, make sure you have your phone with you!"
"Okay!"
"And tell her!"
I sighed. "I'm going too mom, I just need time"
"There's my boy, love you"
"You too mom"
I walked back over to Alice and we started to head away from the others, in the direction of the forest. We walked in a comfortable silence for a couple of minutes, but for some reason, it felt as if we were both trying to say something.
"Thanks for inviting me" Alice said, breaking the silence.
"Thankyou for coming with me"
"You've made moving to California so much better for me"
"Hey, you've helped me gain new friends that actually care about me, you've made living here so much better for me!"
"I feel like I have a real family for once, I've never felt that before"
"Well I'm glad you feel like that" Alice smiled warmly at me, I looked over to the direction of where the others were, we couldn't really see them anymore, all we could see was the glow of the flame. We had been walking for about 5 minutes.
"Do you wanna sit here?" I asked, looking down at the sand.
"Sure!" We sat down closely, I noticed Alice had goosebumps.
"You cold? Come here" I put my arm around her and pulled her close to me.
"All better" she said wrapping her arms around me.
"The beaches are so nice at night out here" Alice looked up, admiring the clear skies and the thousands of stars.
"Do you wanna try find a shooting star? Me and Joey used to play this game all time when we were kids on this very beach"
"Lets do it!" We laid down, our arms still wrapped around one another to keep each other warm. Alice had her head on my shoulder.
"First to spot one gets a chocolate bar" I said laughing.
"Deal!" We laid there looking up at the beautiful sky. It was silent for a few minutes, I heard footsteps from the pathway at the top of the beach, but there was a wall so I couldn't see who it was. I didn't really care either. I just wanted to embrace every moment of Alice being in my arms. I really like her and she still doesn't know.
I heard a few more footsteps, so I looked up at the wall.
"You okay?" Alice asked caringly.
"Yeah yeah just thought I heard someone that's all"
"Oh okay" she laid her head back down on my shoulder and snuggled in closer to me. We'd been gone from the others for about 20 minutes now.
"Alice I need to talk to you"
"I need to talk to you too"
"Hmm how are we gonna do this?"
"Do you wanna say it at the same time?"
"Okay, that sounds good, ready?"
Wow I was going to tell her. I literally had no clue what she was going to tell me. I know she doesn't like me back more than a friend. We still laid down, both of us took a deep breath.
"3.... 2.... 1...."
"I really like you Jakob" was all I heard in Alice's voice. Was I imagining this? I couldn't say anything, I was so surprised.
"Sorry I shouldn't have said anything..." She said sighing.
"Alice, I was going to tell you that I really liked you too, you stole the words out of my mouth." I said being honest with her.
"Seriously?" She sounded shocked.
"Yes seriously. I really do like you" thankfully it was night time, otherwise she would've seen me blushing.
"Well, that's that done with then" Alice said, I don't think she knew what to say, I didn't either.
"We best head back..." I said sighing. I really had no clue what to say to her.
"Yeah I guess so..." Alice sighed too. Had we both just ruined things? I hope we hadnt.
I stood up first, Alice put her hands out for me to help her up. I pulled her up but she stumbled slightly, falling backwards so I quickly grabbed her arm to help her balance. I don't know how, but we were literally an inch apart. My hands were on the bottom of her back, her hands on my shoulders. We both just stared into each other's eyes. Was this it? No one there to stop us. We stood staring at each other for a minute or so, and it happened. I lent in and so did she. We kissed. It got more passionate as I pulled her closer to me. We kissed for a long time. I don't know why. It just, well, happened.
Suddenly someone wolf whistled. Great, someone saw us. But who could it have been? The others were all at the campfire, weren't they? As soon as we heard the whistle, we pulled away. We just grinned at each other for a little while.
"Well that was good" I said smiling like an idiot.
"Very" Alice said grinning at me.
"Anyway, let's head back" I said laughing slightly, I honestly couldn't help it. We walked closely side by side in a very comfortable silence, our hands kept brushing the back of each others.
"So, um, what was that for?" Alice finally said.
"I don't know" I shrugged.
"Where do we stand now?" The question hit.
"Well, it's up to you"
"Jakob come on man just tell me"
"Well we can date if you want, or we can just forget about all that, or we can do that again and it not mean anything..." I sighed at the thought of this. I really hoped she said she wanted to date.
"Well I like the first and the third option, so pick out of them two"
I stopped walking, Alice stopped too, looking slightly confused at me. I just pulled her in closely and kissed her passionately again. It felt so right. I had never felt this before.
"Hey, my names Jakob, wanna hook up?" I said jokingly.
"Hey Jakob, my names Alice, too damn right I do" she said giggling.
"Well that settled that then" I grinned, sliding my fingers in between hers. We walked holding hands, we still had a little while to walk.
"So, are we gonna tell anyone?" Alice asked.
"Maybe we should keep it quiet for now, you know what Joey and Travis are like. We can't give them what they want just yet" I said winking at her.
"Okay" she poked her tongue out at me. We still walked holding hands, I was still in shock that this had all just happened.
"Alice?"
"Yeah?"
"I- I- I love you" I said shyly, I had never said that before other than to mom. I don't say it unless I mean it. Alice didn't reply. She just stood still and gazed into my eyes.
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said anything, what was I thinking, it was all too so-" I was cut off by Alice kissing me quickly and gently on the lips.
"I love you too, dork" she said grinning.
"Dork is it now? Fine then, noob" we just laughed and held hands all the way until we could clearly see who sat where around the fire. We were about 20 meters away when we let go.
"Well I very much enjoyed that walk, so thankyou Jakob" Alice smirked at me.
"I enjoyed it too, now let's go get some marshmallows!"
We got back to where everyone was sat, everyone had changed seats. Travis and Joey sat at either end of the log we were originally on, Kirsty was sat next to Travis, and the others scattered across the floor. Seb and Tiana were sat by the wall making out, Travis and Kirsty holding hands. When we got back, Joey and Travis started making kiss faces at me and Alice. We sat down inbetween them, Alice next to Travis, then me, then Joey.
"We saw" Joey whispered too us.
"Saw what?" I acted innocent.
"Don't deny it, you guys made out, Travis, Kirsty and I saw"
Alice and I just looked at each other then at Kirsty.
"I tried to stop them from going I'm sorry guys" Kirsty said. She was so nice why couldn't Joey and Travis just leave me and Alice alone! So that was who's footsteps I heard.
"So which one of you god damn whistled?!" Alice said, looking between Joey and Travis.
Travis innocently raised his hand.
"Damn man, you ruined a good kiss" she said jokingly punching him on the arm.
"Well I'm sorry" he raised his hands in surrender.
"So no denial then?" Joey asked us.
"Nope" Alice and I both said at the same time.
"Why don't you guys just date already then?!" Travis insisted.
"I dunno" I said whilst shrugging my shoulders. Oh this was going to be a long night...