It Feels Easier to Just Swim Down (26)

A

I woke up next to the love of my life that morning, the sun behind his head forming a halo-like shape behind his mess of a poof. I smile, knowing we'll be forever safe.

And then reality comes crashing down.

My smile turns to a frown when I realize, it's after the wedding. That's when Martha claimed she would attack.  Thomas looks at me, confused, until he too, realizes whats going on. We nod to each other before travelling around the house to lock all the doors, make sure the windows were shut and the security systems activated. We were panicked, as we didn't know when exactly Martha would attack. We cooked breakfast at home, just eating pancakes, and cuddling on the couch until we were both starving. We didn't know what to do. We couldn't prevent her from attacking, but, we could try to subdue it.

We drew the blinds and blocked any possible way of getting in. We spent our day in a paranoid stress.

It's how we spent our week. It's how we spent our month. We calmed down after two months of this repeated cycle, but were still very cautious. We didn't leave the house much, only going out to get groceries. The rest of The Revolutionaries visited quite a bit, often staying over the nights they came.

I worked on my book, as well as the work Washington sent us. Thomas and I actually had to travel to Washington D.C hehehe, Washington D.C quite often, as Washington had become president and needed help from his secretaries of Treasury and State.

It continued like that for months upon months, for about three months (including the other two)until suddenly, one night, it happened.

We were sleeping pretty soundly, when we suddenly heard the alarm go off after the sound of breaking glass. Thomas grabbed his phone to call the police, but she was already there in the doorway. I sat up, and she aimed her gun at me, cocking it. I gasp quietly before she starts speaking, "You bastard. You killed my brother. It's your fault he's dead! If you hadn't broken up with him he wouldn't have committed suicide!"

Tears stream down my face, as I don't say anything. This is what I've told myself for the past almost two years now. Thomas is beside me, holding me, but I move away when she puts her finger on the trigger.

"You killed him, so I kill you."

She pointed the gun at me, closed one eye, and pulled the trigger.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion. I pushed Thomas away from me, and felt a horrible pain in my chest. I looked to see the bullet had shot me right above the heart. I smile.I fall down, limp, and everything slowly goes black.

T

"ALEXANDER!" I scream as Martha aims her guns towards me. She shoots, but misses, and I run towards her, knocking her to the ground. I grab her gun and hit her on the head with it, knocking her out and went to Alexander. I shot my hand to his wrist, ignoring the cutting scars. There was a light pulse. I called 911, and they got here within ten minutes. He still had a pulse, but it was barely there. I let them take him into the hospital, and they arrested Martha.

I rode in the ambulance with Alexander, and they did their best there. They pulled him into the ER when we got to the hospital, and I paid for a family waiting room. Everyone was there quite soon, in about half an hour. We all sat around and waited anxiously, talking every now and then but it was mostly a tear filled silence.

My brain was thinking of the worst, and I couldn't stop it. I just let my tears run quicker, and in a few hours a nurse came in. "Visiting hours are over. And family or spouse of Mr. Hamilton may stay, but only direct relatives. The surgery just got finished. He'll be okay." Angie actually screamed in relief, Lafayette said something in french, and the rest now us sighed. We exchanged hugs, as we were all like a huge family, and they left, and I stayed in Alexander's room.

I didn't sleep, constantly checking his heart monitor. When morning came, I was tired, but traveled down to get coffee and breakfast. When I came back, Alexander was still asleep. I spent the day talking to him, even though he didn't talk back. I smiled sadly, and ended up falling asleep after a bit.

When I wake up, I feel someone lightly shaking me. I look up to see a panicked Hercules. Alexander was still asleep. Hercules helped me up before saying, "Angie went into labor." "Shit." We run to her room, waiting outside with everyone. We heard screams coming from inside, and everyone looked anxious. Jesse was in there with her, as he was her fiance. After a while, the yelling stopped, and we saw the doctor come out. "You may see her now, but try not to yell, because the baby is asleep. We nod, filing in silently. Angie was holding the baby, rocking him back and forth lightly. She handed me the baby first, as I was going to be the father of it. I smiled, tears coming out lightly. We passes the baby around, and eventually Angie had to sign the birth certificate.

"Philip Hamilton, born January 22, 2017. Legal guardian(s): Thomas and Alexander Hamilton" I smiled at her. Since she was a surrogate, which we had already worked out with the doctor, she could but us as Philip's legal guardians. I eventually headed back to Alexander's room after chatting and getting dinner with the rest of the Revolutionaries. He was asleep still. I sighed, grasping his hand lightly and rubbing my thumb over his palm. I did his for who knows how long, until suddenly, I felt a squeeze, and looked up to see Alexander, opening his eyes.