I May Not Live To See Our Glory (4)

A

The next few weeks went by in a blur. Nothing special happened. But, my annoyance level with Jefferson has, lessened. His opinions less infuriate me but more interest me. His voice is less annoying and high pitched but more, melodic. I don't mind his presence as much and we can actually talk without getting in a fight.

Laurens has grown more distant. His classes occupy his time and so do mine, so we only have time to text each other for a bit every night. Hercules is always hanging with Lafayette and I think Burr moved out. Eventually though, the steady stream of work came to a stop as our finals approached. (That's what we're gonna call them, cuz I have no idea what they're called :)   )

I was anxious to get my test answers back, considering this whole thing depends on if I can get good grades to get a job in the law department. I was bouncing my knee for a while before Washington came in, handed us our scores for every class, and told us we were dismissed. I looked at the few that were actually important.

Law: 95%
Debate: 92%
Creative Writing: 96%
Economy: 94%

How?

T

Hamilton stared at his paper in shock. I leaned over, he noticed me, but didn't really push me away. He got all nineties. Holy shit, how, what? I guess that's what he gets for writing his ass off. Huh. I only got low eighties, which is still good but, mixed ninties? Damn. I texted James,

T- What'd you get for your test scores?

T- Jemmy?

J- Thomas, I need you to come to my dorm. Quick, I really need to tell you something.

I rushed to James's door, making sure to knock first. He opened the door and just, hugged me. For a while that's all we did. He looked at me, pain in his eyes. He coughed a few times before saying. "Please, come in."

I walked inside is dorm, curiosity showing on my face. He sat down, and I sat down next to him, the tension in the suffocating. He grabbed my hands, telling me, "What you're about to hear is not going to be good." My eyes widen, and I nod.

"I went to the doctor a few weeks ago, just to get a check up. They wanted to test me for a few things and, well, the results came back in." "Okay." I say. He sighs, tears brimming the edge of his eyes. "Thomas, well, I don't have a lot of time left with you. They only let me stay here because, it's one week."

"I've been diagnosed with stage 4 of leukemia."

(Mwahahahahaha)

~~~

Well, today was awful. I'm just gonna say it. It was awful. After finding out my boyfriend has stage 4 of cancer, we just, hugged, enjoying each others embrace as long as we could. He said he would be taken into the hospital in 5 days. He would remain there and people could come visit him. The next night, I wanted to take him on a date. Our last date, ever. I sigh. I'm taking him to a super special restaurant that I got reservations for months ago.

I had on what I assumed to be a black tux, with a white tie, dependant on the shades of the colors. I pulled on some dress shoes, and walked out of the dorm. I met James outside where we drove my car. He wanted to just, chill in the passengers seat. Thank god there's a hood on this car or he would freeze to death.

He looked at me in awe when he saw the restaurant. "Are we going there?" He asks, eyes wide. I nod, and squeals, which ended in a coughing fit. When he's okay, we get out of the car and walk to the restaurant. "Name? Reservation Time?" "Thomas Jefferson, 6:30 pm." I say. The lady nods, "Right this way, sir." We follow her to our table. I was planning to come here when I proposed to James, but I can't do that now, can I?

We ordered drinks and just sat there in silence, before I said, "James, I want you to know that I love you. I want you to know that even when you..." I couldn't finish the sentence. He nods. I nod. "I love you, James." I say. "I love you too, Thomas." He says back.

But, I know I'm lying.

A

Jefferson has to leave for a date, which, for some reason, makes me a bit sad. I nod at him, but he just leaves. Okay. He's gone for quite a bit before he comes back, crying. "Are you okay?" Come out of my mouth before I can stop it. He just shakes his head. "Do you need to talk about anything?" He sniffs. " I want to tell someone what's going on." "Okay." He sits on the bed and sighs. "James, ya know, my boyfriend, has been diagnosed with stage 4 of cancer. " I gasp, covering my mouth. "Yeah." He laughs a bit. "It sucks, doesn't it?" I nod, my hands still covering my mouth. Before I can think, my body hugs him.

Strangely, he doesn't push away. He hugs me back. His figure is a lot bigger than mine, but, he still cries on my shoulder, and, it's okay. "It'll be okay." Is what I keep telling him. It's awful what's happening to him. It shouldn't happen to anyone. Especially not him. Wait, why do you care? Why do you care what's going on in his personal life? Why- because. I just, I can't explain it, but I feel a pull towards him, and, ugh, god damn, it seems Thomas Jefferson is the one person who can leave me speechless.

He pulls away soon enough, and just says, "Thank you." He goes to his side of the room and grabs a shirt and pants, going into the bathroom to change. He comes out and just, flops on his bed. I giggle slightly at that. I think I'll actually sleep tonight, for Thomas's sake. For his sake.

I'm helpless.

Okay, sorry if this is horrible, but, I wrote it right when I woke up, so, it may not be super good. But, at least I uploaded. Hopefully it's good and I won't have to re-write it entirely :)