Chapter 2

The ride to his house was quiet. At first, he attempted to make conversation with me but I ignored him. “Fine,” he had said, “but I really do not like your attitude.”

    I had merely glanced at him before turning back to face the passenger side window. I cried silently, despite what I had said before about not letting anyone push me around. The clock on the dashboard said five-thirty, so I decided to take some much needed rest. I placed my head against the window and shut my eyes. 

    When I woke, I was still in the car but it was empty and parked by the side of the road, near to a McDonald’s outlet. It was now seven o’ clock. I waited patiently for Christian to come back; feeling very vulnerable and alone, in such a strange place.

    I saw him heading towards the car and I pretended to be asleep again. He opened the door and stared at me. “I know you’re awake, Emily.” He said.

   I looked at him and rolled my eyes. He offered me a bag but I shook my head. “I am not hungry.” That was a huge lie on my part. I was starving.

    He knew that too, because he took the sandwich out of the bag and held it close to my face. I turned my head away, but he turned me back to face him. “Starving yourself is not helping anyone.”

    “I do not eat poisoned food,” I snapped.

      He looked at me and his eyes shifted. “Despite what you might think, I do not hate you. I care about you, a lot. You are my mate and I would never, ever hurt you. No matter what you say or do.”

     “Everyone is out to hurt you. No matter what they say or do.” I quoted something my father had once said to me; it was something I firmly believed.

     Christian looked so shocked and hurt, I almost regretted my words. He passed a hand through his gorgeous hair and sighed. “Will you eat if I eat and prove to you that I didn’t poison it?”

    I thought about it. “No, the poison could take hours to work through you system.”

    He growled. “I am losing my patience with you! The food is not poisoned. If it was, would you be willing to wait hours before eating, just to prove something? Because, if you are, you would not be alive by then.”

    I stared at him. “Well, at least you’d be happy. I am not eating anything from you.” 

    For the second time, he looked shocked. “You think I’d be happy if you… died? Do you think that if I did not have you around as my mate, I would be okay?”

   I sighed, frustrated. “Look, dude. You said it yourself: ‘bad blood’. If I wasn’t around you could be with someone else and they wouldn’t let your family tree fall through the cracks. Trust me on this- you are better off without me.”

     He moved so fast, that I did not have the chance to register his movements. Suddenly, I was on his lap, straddling him. “Emily?” he whispered, pain clear in his voice. “I don’t want anyone else, I want you. Earlier, I was stupid. I realise now that you are my mate, no matter what your family is like. I was wrong to judge you. I was wrong and I am sorry. You are the only person that I could ever want. Now, please eat.”

   I looked at him and then at the sandwich he was holding. “Okay. I’ll eat.” I took the sandwich and smiled at him. He waited until I was completely done with everything- the sandwich, fries and drink, he even offered me food from the second bag but I declined. 

   “Better?” he asked and smiled at me.

    I rolled my eyes. “Do you always get your way?” I teased, pulling at his shirt. 

     He pretended to think about it. “Pretty much.” He paused before saying. “I’m sorry that I yelled at you earlier. I didn’t mean to stir up any bad memories for you or make you uncomfortable.” 

     “It’s okay. It’s just that when you’re accustomed to someone always trying to hurt you, you think it’s impossible for anyone to be nice to you.” I said.

     Christian pulled at my washed out grey sweatshirt and put his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead. “If you feel uncomfortable, you could tell me to stop.” He said gently.

    “I am fine.” I whispered. He took that as encouragement and he pulled gently at my hair. Then, he pulled my chin and brought me closer to him. When he kissed me, it was soft and sweet, and filled with passion; that passion quickly turned to lust. He bit my lip asking for entrance, I hungrily agreed. His tongue slipped into my mouth and softly massaged my own.

    My Wolf was begging to be let out. Especially, when a moan escaped my lips. Christian pulled away, way too soon and smiled at me. “Do you want me to mark you?” he asked softly.

    I thought about it and I was about to say yes when his phone vibrated. He cursed under his breath and ignored it. “Answer it.” I prompted. He stared at me. “Answer it, it could be important.”

    He reluctantly pulled his phone out of his pocket and barked into it. I felt really bad for the person on the other end of the line. 

   His voice instantly softened. “Oh, hi Maia.” I stiffened. Who was Maia? And why was he suddenly so sweet to her? I got off his lap, despite his protests and slipped into the passenger side seat. “Okay, bye. I love you too.” He hung up the phone and turned towards me.

   I was in shock. He kissed me, and then he answered his girlfriend- right in front of me. He told her that he loved her. I looked at him suddenly angry; feeling sick. I should not have eaten all that food.

   He reached out to touch me but I flinched. “Em, is something wrong?” he asked concerned.  

   “Don’t touch me.” I whispered.

    “What? Why? Is everything okay?” he leaned towards me again but I backed up against the car door.

    “How could you?” I asked him. My heart was beating fast and I willed it to slow down. I did not want to throw up.    

     “How could I what?”

      I pointed mutely at his phone.

    “What? Answer my phone? You told me to.”

    “No,” I shook my head, “how could you do that? Right in front of me. You didn’t even have the audacity to go outside. You sat right here and told her that you loved her.”

    Understanding crossed his face and he broke into an easy smile. “Love, you think Maia is my… girlfriend?” I nodded, feeling queasy.

    “She isn’t though. Maia is my sixteen year old sister. She asked me to bring her some McDonald’s and I did. She wanted to find out what was taking me so long.” He explained.

    I suddenly felt stupid and a warm blush crept up my face. Christian held his hand towards me and I was about to take it when I felt like throwing up. I leaned over the back seat and through up into the bag of clothes I had recently bought.

   Christian rubbed my back. “Are you okay?”

    I shook my head and turned around. “I think I may have eaten too much…” I threw up again and I heaved everything into the bag on top of my brand new clothes.

   He rubbed my back and offered me a bottle of water. “I swear… I did not poison you.” I smiled slightly and held my now empty stomach. 

    “I know you didn’t. Can we go home now?” I asked in between sips.

      He nodded. “Yeah. And if it is not too much to ask… I want to introduce you to my parents.”