Chapter 23 - pt 2

Emily’s POV

*~*

    Chris and I were in his study along with Adam and Luke; Preston was apparently with Maia outside of her cell- somewhere on the property. Yet that didn’t explain why Adam and Luke (who Christian seemed to hate so much) were at his side at the moment. On the other hand, I was tired- way too tired to even ponder the possibilities. I was even more tired- of all the questions and the talking. I just wanted to throw myself into bed, curl into a ball and go to bed. Instead, Chris and the guys- mainly the guys had different ideas.

    “Who was the Purple Lady?” asked Adam.

     Oh.My.Gosh! I had already answered that question- about a million times (okay, it was more like five or six; but I was becoming agitated).

    “I. Don’t. Know!” I replied through gritted teeth. “I think she’s Fate or something, but I get the feeling that she’s someone else that I know from my past.”

   “Like whom?” that was Luke’s follow up question.

   I glared at him and slowly sat up from my sleeping position to glare at him some more. “I already told you a billion times before- I don’t know. I can’t remember my past. I was three! Just shut up!”

    That caused Christian to chuckle, but I just rolled my eyes at him, frustrated. “Chris, I’m tired.” I whined.

    He looked at me with warm eyes and approached me, from behind his desk, with the fax still in his hands. He took me into his arms and I snuggled into his chest, contentedly; under the impression that we’d stop looking for clues for the time being. “I know, love. But we have to---“

   “Ugh!” I shot up frustrated and stormed out of the room, annoyed. I walked to the back porch and slumped onto one of the deck chairs. It was almost light outside- the dark skies slowly turning to warm hues of yellows and orange. The birds not up yet, but soon they’d be flitting from tree to tree- going about their day’s work. It was slightly chilly and I regretted not having on proper clothes under this coat and not wearing shoes as well.

   I sighed, unhappily. I wished that there was less complication to my life, even just for a little while. I wished there were no prophecies, psychotic Uncles, purple ladies, kidnappings, and unhappiness- just peace. I really wanted to take a nice long nap- although I didn’t think I should be tired after sleeping for about two days. Tomorrow was Monday and I seriously doubted that I could make it to school, especially since I was yet to study for that Chemistry test.

   As I was about to lean back, I felt the chair sink and a sturdy figure slipped behind me. I smelled Chris’ Chanel cologne envelope the air around me like a soft and familiar, favourite childhood blanket. He pulled me onto his lap and gently stroked my hair in smooth, rhythmic motions. He planted chaste kisses on my neck and murmured soothingly against my skin.

   He tilted my chin back, gently so that I would look at him. “Hey,” he whispered, “I know you’re tired-since we’ve been up half the night, I really understand. But can we just look at this one more time? Please? Then we can go to bed, I promise. Please, for me?”

  He looked at me kindly, pleading with his eyes and he pouted adorably in that way of his that gave me butterflies. So, I rolled my eyes and snatched the piece of paper from him.