Chapter 25

I sat on the wet grass, watching them train just as the sun rose. Christian had been going mental over the last few days. He wanted to be ready for an upcoming battle and needed the pack to be ready too and no one was spared.

  I didn't know how to feel about coming face to face with my real parents, who would be arriving in just over 48 hours. I didn't feel a physical connection to them, they hadn't raised me or been a part of my life in over a decade. However, I had an emotional desire to have them in my life and I felt somewhat of a spiritual connection, which primarily came from the stories I had been told and the dreams I had.

  After placing that call five days ago, I had realized that 'The Purple Lady' was basically a figment of my imagination. She wasn't the same Fate who had cursed my ancestors but she was Imperia, the first female ancestor who had been cursed. She had visited me once more after that, the third and final visit she'd said, to tell me she had taken a special interest in me. I was the female descendant that my family had been waiting on to break the curse, after all. Imperia wanted me to know that I had to speak to my mother - whose calls I'd been ignoring - to learn more about my history and what exactly would be needed to break the curse on my family.

  If I was successful, I'd not only still be alive but my strength would take away the curse of The Change for all of my people. The lengthy transition had claimed many lives from those were not strong enough and had made many a woman barren. My own Change was something that was akin to being relentlessly battered (something I was very familiar with). For six weeks the bones in body broke and reset many times over, throwing up had become second nature to me and the cravings for raw meat were seemingly endless. My aunt and uncle did nothing to make the pain lessen, neither sought out the herbs that they knew could ease my pain nor took the time to help me hunt or satisfy my hunger.

  Being the daughter of the Alpha of the Original werewolves, made me a part of a Royal family. My family was the most powerful in North America and greatly respected around the globe. Having that sort of privilege and power really put things into perspective for me, I could save lives by simply performing a ritual with the help of my mother. And I wanted to do that. I wanted to do my part to help my people.

  So, after much convincing from Christian, I had scheduled a FaceTime call with her, that would be in three hours time. Speaking to my father on the phone was one thing, but having a face to face session with the woman who had given birth to me and been robbed of the chance to raise me was something completely different. I didn't understand why we couldn't speak over the phone but my mate and his father, primarily the latter, had helped me realize that if I was a mother who had been grieving a child for over 10 years then I'd want to lay eyes on him or her (in this case) as soon as possible.

  The sound of a man screaming, snapped me out of my thoughts. Christian was absolutely relentless in his efforts to whip the pack into shape. I don't know why he and his father were so convinced that the meeting with my Family would lead to a fight, however, I was unsuccessful in getting them to see otherwise. But, I also couldn't bear to watch Luke be yelled at any further.

  I stood up and ambled over to my mate, taking his hand. I looked at the scores of fighting men and women and decided that these people definitely needed a break.

  "Alright everyone, that's it for today. I say you all take a break and be back here before the sun sets. You've worked hard over the last few days and deserve some rest."

  I felt Christian's gaze on me and told them to go quickly before I changed my mind. In a few seconds flat, Christian and I were left alone in the sun's glow.

  "Not too tired to give orders?" He asked me, playfully nuzzling my ear.

  "No, I'm not. I was just thinking about the FaceTime call I had. I still don't see why I couldn't speak with her over the phone just as I had with my father. I'll be seeing her soon enough." I complained.

  Christian flicked my forehead, before lifting me up and allowing me to wrap myself around him.

  "She's your mother. She's been waiting to speak with you and see you for 13 years. Besides, you and I agreed that I'd be there the entire time and the call will last no longer than 15 minutes."

  Just as we reached the door of the house, Christian stiffened. I struggled to be let down and it seemed as though his grip was only getting tighter the more I tried to see what had thrown my mate off guard. The last few days had been packed with activity. Not only was he preparing the pack members to fight, he was securing accommodations for visitors that were to be no less that 300 strong; sending out a search party for his brother Christiano and dealing with his sister's betrayal.

  When my feet finally hit the grass, I spun around and saw Christian's mother, best friend and sister standing in front of me. The former was dressed in a crisp black pantsuit, something I found unbecoming in the beautiful summer sunshine while his former Beta was holding hands with Maia. My mate's sister and my best friend. Even though she had tried to kill me, I could only see the beautiful, funny and loving girl who had given me a place in her life.

  Yes, she'd betrayed her pack. I couldn't forget that, no one could. But, I did know that her hand had been forced and the series of events that had transpired over the course of a few days had matured me in some way. I couldn't forget what Maia had done but I could forgive her for accidentally shooting me. She was already enough of an outcast among our supporters (as well as a hero among the childish haters). I was just glad to be alive. I was grateful that Christian's father and I had convinced the Elders to refrain from kicking Maia (and Preston, her loyal mate) out of the pack.

  Christian, on the other hand....

_______________________________________________________________________________

I have not posted on here in so long. I just want to say that the way I think and write isn't the same and I really hope things don't seem too disjointed in terms of the writing. I decided to continue with this story because I still get a lot of amazing feedback from new and old readers. I really hope you all enjoy the update. And, writing this makes me realize how much I miss writing and I can truthfully say, that I will be posting as much as I can. Thanks for everything. xoxo