Memories

واستقبلت قمر السماء بوجهها *** فأرتني القمرين في وقت معًا

She faced the moon with her face, Just then I saw two moons at once

Tormented by the conversation he had earlier with Fajr, his mind was a rattletrap, he couldn't sleep. He needed to clear his head, even though the hour was late, around eleven, he got up, changed his clothes, crept silently down the stairs, walked out the door and went for a stroll.

He placed his hands in his pockets and walked aimlessly throughout the road, his thoughts racing, his words replayed in his mind. He was upset, he was not the type of person who would force a girl to marry him despite of herself. It was not like him at all, then why on earth did he say that to her?!

He just wanted to tell her that he could help her to find a way out of this matter if she wanted, but instead he said the opposite. He couldn't understand the reason he became someone else in front of her. Deep inside it bothered him that she was trying her best not to let this marriage happen, but why was he bothered? It wasn't like this marriage was his idea in the first place.

After a half-hour walk under the dark sky and twinkling stars, he returned home heading to his room as calmly as he left. He was still restless and kept moving from bed to chair then to bed again. He made his mind, he would never bring this topic up again, nor would he do anything to get her to agree. If she didn't want, then it was her problem, he just tried to help. Besides, she once called him arrogant! Who was being arrogant now? He asked himself.

At last, he ended up staying in the veranda, his eyes glued up to the dark sky and the full moon. When he dropped his eyes down, something got his attention, Fajr showed up, she walked around the garden then sat on a chair, wrapped her hands around her body. She was alone, and seemed lost in her thoughts as well. It looked like she too had trouble falling asleep, perhaps she was reflecting on what he said to her. He took a step ahead, and gripped the veranda rail. Upon observing her there, a strange feeling of relaxation grew inside him.

<><><><><>

Although he promised himself not to open that topic again and decided to stay at his apartment in the coming days to avoid Fajr and thinking about her, but what happened the following night took him off guard when he received a call from Muhsen telling him that Fajr needed some time to think. He didn't believe his ears and kept wondering how come? In less than 24 hours she had changed her mind and was ready to think about it. What did Muhsen say to her? Was it possible that he told her about his disease?!

Actually what happened was that, at an early hour of that morning, Fajr was sleeping when her phone rang. She opened her eyes lazily as she didn't have enough sleep last night. She sat on the bed and picked up the call.

"Good morning, dad" she replied rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning honey, listen ...be ready at 5 o'clock I am coming to take you in the evening."

"Where?" she asked with a sleepy voice and yawning.

"you will know later. Take care"

Just like that he ended the call leaving her puzzled.

<><><><><><><>

At 5 o'clock, her father was waiting for her in a white cab. She told Huda and Fatima that she was going out with her dad then she left.

Muhsen was sitting in the passenger seat, so Fajr couldn't question him easily about their destination. All what her father told her was that; "just wait..."