Unexpected worktrip

Love is when one person becomes a whole world...

Things stayed pretty much the same as Khalid and Fajr fell into the routine. Khalid would go to work early in the morning while Fajr would start her day with a walk on the treadmill then would be busied with making breakfast and later with doing household chores.

A morning run helped her start the day with a sense of accomplishment, she felt more vivid and relaxed. She was dressed in a black work-out pants and a white Cami top, with a black hoodie tied around her waist. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and a towel wrapped around her neck. She put the ear buds into her ears then climbed onto the treadmill and adjusted the speed. She started out at a fast walk. After a few minutes of walking, she increased the speed so she was running. Her ponytail bobbing from side to side with each step she took.

An hour later, the treadmill finally stopped. She took out her ear buds and stepped off and took a drink of water. Meanwhile, Khalid approached with a smile, his perfume filled the air; "Good morning, athletic woman."

"Good morning." she answered, sort of out of breath.

She wiped her face off with her towel before taking another drink from her water bottle. When she saw that Khalid was fully dressed and ready to go, she checked the time. 

Nearly seven.

"You are up early today."

He glanced at himself in the hallway mirror and adjusted his Shemagh; "all the executives and the heads of departments are to attend a morning meeting. I have to be there early."

She stood before him to adjust the collar of his thobe, "you should have told me. I haven't made breakfast yet."

Khalid gently pinched her scarlet cheek; "It's ok. I'll eat anything there."

"Any way, I might not come at lunch break, so don't wait for me." He added.

Fajr tilted her head to one side, her pretty mouth pressed with disapproval, but she said; "Ok."

She watched as he slipped his cellphone into his pocket, and gathered his keys.

"you need anything?"

"Be safe."

**********

On that same day, he returned home shortly before 10:00 PM. He went to the living room after taking a shower. Fajr was sitting on the end of the sofa, seemed pissed off at his being late. Her gaze seemed fixed to the clock. Khalid knew that she deliberately ignoring him, pretending to be busy with her phone. He lay across the sofa sticking his feet over its arm and put his head on her lap; "I know you are upset and you have the right to be. But I swear it was beyond my control. The facial recognition system wasn't working and I had to be there till the problem got solved. Now I'm really exhausted." He closed his eyes.

Fajr couldn't fight the urge to caress his hair and smooth his forehead. His head yielded to her gentle touch, and by degrees exhaustion gave way. He opened his eyes and looked up at her. They exchanged a smile, her smile unfurled her dimples.

Khalid sighed; "so tell me how was your day?"

Fajr shrugged, kind of bored;  "nothing special. just like every other day."

He straightened up as he heard a notification pop up on his phone. He dragged the mobile out of his pocket and scrolling at the phone screen.

"Khalid!"

"Khalid!" Fajr repeated a little louder, demanding his attention.

Without turning, he elongated the last syllable of humming, posing a question; "hmm?" Still focusing on his phone.