Healing Touches

Through love all that is bitter will be sweet,

Through love all pain will turn to medicine.

~ Rumi

Emotions are seeds. By permanent care, they slowly develop, grow and turn into something as fresh and sweet as fruit. 

Fajr and Khalid were spending their night at his family house after the accident which took place that same day.

The room was freezing cold, the air conditioner was crusted with ice, Khalid's blanket was kicked off into a pile near the foot of the bed. He was moaning and groaning in pain. To his left Fajr was sleeping.

By the sound of his moan, she turned and opened her eyes to see his body shivering and trembling.

She got up immediately and moved closer.

"Khalid! Do you hear me?" a real fear came into her voice.

"Khalid!"

As if her voice came from far away, as though from another world. He had no strength to utter a single word. He hummed, half unconsciously, a murmur accompanied his humming. Everything seemed hazy and dim except the intense pain from the wound he'd sustained to his right shoulder and the high fever he was experiencing. 

As Fajr put a hand gently on his forehead, he flinched.

"Oh God! you're burning up!" Fajr uttered, she was tensed.

She jumped out of bed and hurried over to switch off the AC. In a quick motion,  she picked the blanket from the ground and threw the double blanket over him.

Her eyes searched the room for the medical bag and she saw it on top of the dresser. She opened it, finding what she had been hoping was there. She picked the medicine for fever. When she took the pills she tore at their plastic wrapping, poured  a glass of water from the jug. Then she sat next to Khalid, put her hand on the back of his head and lifted up his head a little.

"Here, open your mouth and swallow this." She said as she placed a pill on his tongue and dropped some water in his mouth.

She observed him for a moment as he swallowed the pill and rested his head on the pillow. Due to the heavy medicine, he gradually fell asleep and the shivers passing through his body slowly ceased.

She pulled on a loose robe over her blue sleeping gown and wrapped the Hijab around her head then went downstairs to bring some cold water and a clean towel.

She saw the kitchen clock was pointing to 2:30 am. She'd been in such a rush, that she hadn't had time to check what time it was. She filled a deep bowl with cold water and found a white dishtowel in another cupboard.

Back at Khalid's bedside, she put the bowl on the night table and took a seat next to him. She then soaked the towel, wrung most of the water out, and placed the cool cloth on his forehead. She soaked it in cold water, wiped the tiny drops of sweat from his brow with the back of her hand. She sat quietly observing his  face for a few moments, traced his thick wet strands and pushed them back then pinned the towel back in place. A deep feeling settled in her heart. He was fast asleep. Fajr watched him until her eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep.

Two hours later, Khalid woke up with heavy eyes and a bad headache. As he shifted his body, the towel fell off.

Looking at the left side, he saw Fajr sleeping in half-crouched uncomfortable position, her head resting against the headboard, her hand holding his. He felt a little different as he looked at her peaceful face.

For a moment, he felt like not stirring at all. Waking her was the last thing he wanted to do right now.

However, he called her name twice before she opened her eyes. "Fajr!" he whispered again and rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand which was holding his.