Improvement

Reason is powerless in the expression of love. ~Rumi

She was coming out of the kitchen, carrying the coffee mug when she heard the key turning in the lock and the door open. She stopped at her spot, looking at the door.  Right then Khalid emerged, the keys clutched in one hand, two food bags in the other.

"good evening."

"Evening!" she replied and continued her way to the living room, not noticing the person behind him.

He quickly  stopped her; "someone is with me"

She turned to look at him, and was about to raise a question when she saw her father.

"Oh God!" she exclaimed happily, her smile ear-to-ear. She hurried to a coffee table to put the mug before running towards Muhsen, her arms open for a hug.

Her father  managed a weak laugh and Khalid smiled giving him an understanding nod, then decided to excuse himself to give them some space. He left them in the living room, sitting shoulder to shoulder.

First he went to the kitchen to put the food then headed to the bedroom to change. He deliberately took his time to give them time alone.

"I can't believe my eyes. Is that really you, or am I dreaming?" she was staring at Muhsen with a large smile, her hand resting on his shoulder.

Her father laughed; "come on, you make it look like I was not on the planet!"

"whether you are on the planet or not, when I can't feel your presence, it means there is distance between us."

He surrounded her by his arm and  pulled her toward him, not commenting.

"I always like the way you surprise me, you are the best!"

"Well, this time it is not my idea, Khalid suggested not to tell you."

She didn't know for what purpose he did that. Anyway, his intentions didn't matter, as far as she was so happy right now.

"How's everything going?" her father asked, his tone made it clear that he was very concerned.

"Everything is ok, but it is kind of boring, I can't even go for a walk in the morning as I used to do with you in London."

Muhsen smiled widely; "that's easy!" then inquired again; "What about Khalid?"

It was a tough question. The man kept surprising her with his unpredictable actions. She didn't know how to answer this question.

She raised a finger to her mouth to chew at the nail and shrugged uncertainly; "what about him?"

"how does he treat you?"

She shifted her gaze around the room, as if looking for the suitable word there...

"hmm well... but sometimes I feel that I can't understand him ..."

He put his hand up to stroke her head "you can't understand a man in a couple of days...you both need time to understand each other!"

She gave her father a nice smile and nodded.

Half an hour later, Khalid joined them sitting on the sofa across from them.

In a casual manner, he asked his uncle "has she already complained about me?"

Muhsen smiled, looking at his daughter then said playfully; "no, actually she was complimenting you."
Khalid raised his eyebrows; "oh I see!" then twisted around at her, his big brown eyes studying her reaction.