Chapter 16

"What is taking them so long?" I whisper to my mom, tears filling my eyes. When I had filled the headache chart completely, my mom had taken me back to my doctor, who had immediately sent us to the hospital, requesting scans be done on my brain.

I was now sitting in a cold hosptial room, freaking out. We had been done with the tests for over an hour and none of the doctors had come back yet, many times I had heard them outside the door, whispering to each other.

          "I'm sure they're just making sure all of the results came through right." My mom leans towards me, stroking the back of my head as I bury my face in a pillow.

          "No. Something is wrong." I shake my head. The past 2 weeks had been terrible, the head aches were bad,worse than they had ever been, and Liam wouldn't help me, always saying that it would only be a matter of time before they went away.

          "Shhhh." My mom tried to sooth my as I began sobbing, my body shaking as I thought of all the bad things that could be wrong with me.

The door clicked open and I heard the clicks of  three sets of dress shoes stepping onto the tiled floor. I instantly sat up, dragging my hands under both of my eyes to wipe away the tears. 

The three doctors that had been doing my testing were old, two of them had grey hair, the other had salt and pepper hair. The three of them had spent the last few hours trying to get me to laugh, to act like I didn't know my life was a bout to change.

The doctors were no longer smiling, they're faces now covered with blank masks as they gripped folders in their wrinkled hands.

          "Would you two like to move into one of our offices to discuss the results?" The youngest of the three asks, running his fingers through his hair.

          "No. I don't want to move." I tell them, wrapping my fingers around the metal bars on the side of the bed.

          "That's fine." The oldest doctor steps forward, standing at the end of the bed. He took a deep breath before opening his folder and I was instantly reminded of when I had gone through something exactly like this with my father.

~

(flashback)

          "Take a seat." The young man who had been helping us ever since we arrived at the hospital that morning said as we stepped into his office. 

My dad sat in the middle chair, my mom on his left and me on his right. We were both gripping his hands. He was trying to act Strong, telling us that he was fine but we knew better, we were freaking out.

          "I don't have good news." The doctor says, taking his seat. 

As he said it, the tears began to fall from my eyes. My dad sighed, letting go of my hand and wrapping his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into a hug.

I watched, my vision blurred by tears as the doctor opens the folder, laying it on the wooden desk that sits in between us.

          "It's a tumor." He says, looking down at the white paper. My mom begins crying too, her crys are loud, my dad lets go of me, turning to whisper to my mom, me and the doctor staying quite until my dad is able to get her to calm down.

           "Continue please." My dad says his voice cracking at the end.

           "We've caught it at a good time so I wouldn't get to worried. Right now all we need to worry about is getting treatment done." The doctor gives us a small smile, trying to reassure us that after the treatment, our lives would be back to normal.

          "Lets talk about treatment then." My dad says his voice sounding as it usually did, I knew he was calmed by the doctors words and I guess my mom was to because she stopped crying and started hiccuping instead.

           "It's expensive but without...."The doctor trails off and we instantly know, without the treatment my dad will die.

           "We'll do it  than." My dad smiles, wrapping an arm around both me and my mom, knowing there was no reason to talk it over, the treatment wasn't an option, my and my mom need him.

(flashback over)

~

          "The cause of your headaches is a tumor." The doctor reads from the sheet. "It's located near the center of your head which is why the headaches are consuming all of your head." 

After that I can no longer hear him, a buzz replaces the talking and all I can hear besides it, is my breathing. I'm breathing heavily, unable to catch my breath, feeling as I have just run a mile as I wipe at my cheeks.

           "We wish we could have caught it sooner." The doctor finishes. I knew he had said more than that, things that had my mom rocking in her chair but I had blocked them out.

As his words sink in, I lean back against the pillow, the room going dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

7 Comments before I start writing the next chapter

Also, I hate asking people to comment but no one does if I dont ask.