Protector

The makeshift wooden rod was about to hit Neil again.

Avni screamed Neil's name and pushed him away from front of the rod. Neil went down on the muddy ground still holding his head with both hands.

Avni got out of the car and looked at the person who was wielding the stick. She remembered him from somewhere even in that pouring rain. She tried to see if the person was alone or had company. She could make out two other men standing in the rain across the road. As the person with the stick stared at her, now carefree that Neil was out of action and writhing in pain, Avni realized he is the same tout whom they had met outside the airport and rented the car from them. It was all a big trap for her and Neil, they had planned this all along!

She did not realize then but they were hired goons who had implanted a GPS in the car that they rent out to Neil and Avni so that they would be able to track them! They had then used high beams mounted on that u-turn to blind Neil and nearly caused their accident. They had lined the rocks by the road side so that Neil and Avni's car does not fall in the depths of the ravine incase it veers off the road. Clearly they wanted not to kill them instantly in road accident but had some other motive.

The goon kept on looking at her, and then raised his stick again. Avni flinched but then realized the goon was aiming again to hit Neil with full force this time! Avni could not let that happen. She did not know what to do but her self-preservation instinct kicked in. She slid down in the mud and kicked the leg of this goon that made him lose his balance and he fell face side down. His stick was flung away from his hands. Seeing this the  other two goons started rushing towards Avni and Neil, and one of them took out his country-made gun as he came towards them. There was no way that Avni could have done anything to stop these two. She was not Shabana and rued why she had not listened to Shabana and worked more on her self-defense lessons..

The other two goons came at Neil and one of them aimed his gun at Neil. Avni looked and Neil and took her decision, there was no way she could allow anything to happen to Neil while she was alive. She sat by Neil and let the goon take his aim. Then just before the shot ran, Avni put herself before the gun and Neil....