The curtain rises..

Just a caveat, there is a little bit of violence in this. Nothing major! :)

--------------------

Neil was looking helplessly ahead of him .. He was yet again going to be forced to see the girl he loves murdered.. But this time he knew he wasn't going to survive it.. Avni meant too much for him by now....

The knife's tip reached Avni's heart. The goon's back was to Neil so he couldn't see if the knife went inside. And then came a shrill scream. But not a female scream.

The goon who was about to strike avni was screaming madly and in pain! And soon Neil realized why! His hand which was previously holding the knife was now dangling by his side with the wrist broken. Also in that very second Avni was free as the goon holding her hands was now getting beaten very badly. Neil was so stunned that he stopped where he was.. About a 100 metres away still from avni and the goons.

Avni's savior was a person wearing loose workout clothes and a black hooded jacket. Neil couldn't see the face nor could make out anything except that this person was hell of a fighter, possibly trained professionally! The other goon was screaming for mercy. But the person continued to rain down blows in fury. Ideally Neil should've gone ahead and intervened by virtue of his being a police officer but he did not want to. These scoundrels tried to kill his wife! And they were now surprisingly getting what they deserved.

It was a matter of probably ten seconds and both goons' fates had changed. From murderers in a dominant position who were about to murder a helpless woman, they were now getting beaten by this mystery person! The person was now standing over both goons who looked terrified. They had clearly not expected this. The person was holding one of the goons by his collar asking them some questions that Neil couldn't hear, the goons didn't answer anything and kept mute and scared. Then came more screams. The person had kicked and broken the knee cap of one of the goons. A sick crunch was heard even by Neil at that distance. Then he twisted the already broken wrist of the other goon, who let out a scream as if he was going to die. This person was a deadly and seemingly heartless trained investigator!

Neil decided it was too much and now time for him to take things in his hands. He started running again and reached the spot. Avni was not looking at Neil though. She was looking at the hooded person and looked shocked and very emotional. The persons back was to Neil.

Then avni did something that caught neil by surprise. She lunged forward and hugged the hooded person- with tears flowing from her eyes. And the person hugged her back equally tightly.. 

Neil still couldn't make out who he was, as his back was to neil. But a hunch told neil that this is the same man that had been calling avni a day before and was cutting the phone when neil picked up. He saw similar expressions of shock and disbelief but happiness in her eyes as he had seen then.

Neil felt relieved that Avni was safe. However, the next feeling to come was natural curiosity and also a twinge of slight jealousy. Neil couldn't have doubted avni's honesty and character in his dreams now. But he saw himself being possibly replaced by this new person in Avni's affection. It was clear to him that they shared a bond, a very old bond that had its roots in Avni's largely unknown past - between the time she was shot by Dayawanti and the time she resurfaced to avenge her mom's murder..

The person and Avni hugged for what seemed like an eternity and Neil was standing behind the person at a small distance all this while. He patiently waited even though he was jealous of the man. 

The goons were still writhing in extreme pain in the background and were letting out small howls in between, still they were not running away. From close quarters Neil could see that their condition was even worse than he had imagined. Clearly they were very very scared of the person who had kicked their asses and ensured that they are hospitalized for this deed, their fear was showing on their faces as one of the men tried to run and the other stopped him telling in sign language that the new person will kill them if they try that! This new man was trained to hurt, maybe kill! Anyways, Neil was thankful that he saved Avni's life.

Then suddenly Avni opened her eyes and saw Neil standing there. The emotional look in her face changed to a little shock and what Neil thought to be surprise. However, she managed to utter Neil's name. At this the person broke the hug with Avni and without turning around uttered a few words. This shocked Neil so much that he almost lost his balance standing and stumbled in surprise..!

"So the police has come.. Late as always.."

What had shocked Neil were not the words but who had uttered them. ..

---------

So guys from here the story will introduce a new character. Someone who's not in naamkaran. I thought they are missing a kickass (literally kickass) character! :)