Neil takes care!

Neil woke up first in the morning, which was usually the case. He was used to waking up first from his police training days. As he tried to bring up his hand to rub his eyes, he realized there was a weight on his hand. He sensed Avni before he saw her sleeping on the same bed as him! Neil almost jumped in surprise. He could not for the love of everything holy recall how or when this happened last night!
Neil stayed for over two minutes in the same position looking at Avni sleeping sweetly using his hand as her pillow. Even though he couldn't feel his right hand anymore, Neil made no effort to remove his hand. Pain and numbness in his hand was tolerable to him rather than watching Avni wake up and move away from him! He thought she had taken his hand by mistake. How else was it possible! It's not like Avni would be interested in coming close to him willingly! Trying to tease her and come close to her was his guilty pleasure, not hers!
Neil noticed it was abnormally cold in the room and looked at the window which was open. And then it came back to him! He had woken up by cold breeze and saw Avni standing very close to the window ledge. For some reason he had panicked in his sleep only and walked up to her and held her. He wanted to just check she's not about to do anything wrong and is safe! Then he remembered being pampered by her and taken care of. Very unlike himself, Neil actually smiled and blushed at this memory!

Avni had covered him with a sheet to protect him from cold but she had probably forgotten to cover herself. Neil thought it was so very like her! To care about others and not to take care of herself! He suddenly felt a gush of affection towards Avni. He loved her nature. Actually he loved her. And wished this moment would continue forever and Avni would continue lying close to him. He was not prepared to go to home yet and be with everyone else. He just wanted to be with Avni and stay frozen in this moment of time, in this place..

Neil touched Avni's cheek with his other hand in affection. And then he frowned. He touched her again, this time on the forehead. Avni was having fever. Not probably burning with fever but she had sufficiently warm forehead. Neil got up and this time slowly got his right hand out from under Avni's head. He then straight went to the kitchen and warmed some drinking water and kept some milk to warm.

He then went to Avni with the drinking water and sat by her side. He said in a very low tone.

Neil -"Avni... Good morning.. Wake up "

Avni stirred her eyelids. She was happily in a dreamless sleep but it was essential to wake her up so that fever doesn't rise and she can be taken care of before that.

Neil put one hand on her forehead again and started caressing her head. Avni didn't really wake up but she turned toward Neil and wrapped her hands around his stomach and continued sleeping.

Neil (sighing, and in a louder voice this time) -"oh hello Ms Kumbh-karan. Wake up"(sleepy head)

Saying this he shook her ever so slightly this time. Avni's eyes opened and she immediately tried getting up and then of course fell back down when she realized she was weak.. Neil was prepared for her reaction and held her back gently as she fell back and continued supporting her. His one arm was around her waist from the back side and other hand was holding her right hand. Both of them were sitting side by side. Neil -"Miss insomniac. Raat mein uthke window to open Kar liya. Par uske baad apni tabiyat Ka khayal nahi rakha na. Typical Avni!"( Woke up at night and opened the window. But didn't take care of your self after that)

Saying this Neil playfully put his finger on the tip of Avni's nose. Avni looked expectantly at Neil and then.. sneezed!

The effects of the fever were starting to show now. Avni's eyes were watery and looked tired.

Neil - "Feverish feel ho raha hoga. Ye lo thoda warm water pi lo.."(Must be feverish. Have some warm water)

Saying this he held Avni's back and the glass as she sipped some water and cleared her throat.

Neil then asked her to lie down and went to the kitchen slab. Milk was about to boil and Neil made strong turmeric milk.

Avni screwed up her nose as expected and refused to drink the horrid beverage that was coming her way. But Neil insisted!

Avni - "Please Neil.. Bas ye nahi . I will eat anything else but not haldi ka doodh!"( Not this...turmeric milk)

Neil - "Dekho Avni I don't know much about caring for the ill. But meri maa and Bebe dono mujhe ye bana ke pilaati thi whenever I used to catch fever! And then I used to heal and start jumping with energy!" (Look...but my mom and grand mom both used to feed me this
..)

Somehow Avni doubted it very much that a sick Neil would start jumping after drinking this abomination! But nevertheless she closed her eyes and nose and drank it. She immediately felt warmer from the inside and better.

Neil - "Good girl! Ab tum aaram karo.. Main bahar se kuch samaan le aata hoon. Plus kuch medicines.. Is house ka first-aid box was last updated when I shifted here! Saari medicines expire ho gayi hongi."( Rest now..I'll get some stuff from outside..plus some medicines....all medicines would've expired)

Avni nodded her head and Neil left the house , taking the key with him. He was smiling as he got into the lift. Avni was sick but everything was under control as she was listening to him. And he was the best Nurse ever. He grinned to himself in the lift mirror and settled his morning hair!

Meanwhile Avni got into the shower to get ready before Neil comes back. She was one of those not so lazy people, whose day could not start without a shower! Even though she was sick, there was a smile on her lips.. It was funny that Neil was being so good to her when she was ill, she wished she would stay sick longer!