Closer..

Neil returned and he was turning the key in the lock to open the door to the apartment, which was suddenly opened from the inside by Avni.

Neil (with wide eyes) - "Avni! Main tumko bed mein lita kar gaya tha na! Chalo, andar chalo.."
(I had put you in the bed. Come back inside.)

Avni (with an apologetic but playful smile on her lips) - "Neil.. I feel totally fine actually. I know thoda feverish hai par chalta hai yar!" (I know I've some temperature but it's OK)

Neil raised his finger to Avni's lips and kept it there. Avni stepped back a little inside the apartment due to the shock of his finger touching her lips without any warning. Neil followed her inside and kept the stuff he had bought inside on the floor.

Neil (with a twinkle and a little anger in his eye) - "Meri baat nahi maani na. Bas thoda sa aaram karne ko bola tha! Ab bhugto.." (You don't want to listen to me right. I just asked u to rest a little. Now see!)

Saying this he lifted her up in his arms and pressing her close to his chest to balance the weight , he closed the door shut with his foot. Neil then carried Avni for the small distance that the bed was kept at and placed her gently on the bed.

He then gave her some food and medicine that he had got and asked her to sleep. But Avni had something else in mind..

Avni (softly)- "Neil.. I will do what you say. But mujhe sone ko mat kaho. I am without any worries after a long time. I am away from everyone else and I just want to relax and have some 'me'-time..please" (..just don't ask me to sleep..)

Neil thought about it for some seconds and then smiled.

"Sure Avni, you are right. You have every right to enjoy. Just take care of yourself. Main office nikalta hoon. I hope you have a nice 'me'-time!"(..I'll leave for office..)

Neil started to walk away but Avni tugged his hand and held him back.

"Neil, thodi der ruk jao.."(Wait for a while)

Neil was pleasantly surprised. Avni did not know that if she asked, Neil would stop by her side forever! He chuckled - "Sure Wifey! Entertainment ke liye aapka husband haazir hai.." and then playfully cupped her cheeks. (Your husband is available to entertain)

Avni did something surprising then, involuntarily, she rubbed her cheeks against Neil's hands and closed her eyes. Neil shook his head and looked surprisingly. Surely Avni was doing it because she was sick and could not think straight! Else till now she had been so shy..

Neil just sat by the bed with her and started talking. They shared a lot of stories from their past that the other person was not a part of. Both of them were laughing real hard at a mutual joke when suddenly a tear escaped Avni's eye.

Neil (sobering up, with concern in his eyes) - "Ye kya Avni.. tum sad ho kya.. what did I say?"
(What's this. Are u sad...)

Avni - "nahi, just cannot believe my good luck and bad luck. Good luck because I am with you right now and bad luck isiliye kyunki.. kyunki tum mujhe pehle kyun nahi mil gaye Neil (another tear escaped her eye as she said this)..''( No....bad luck cause why did u not meet me before hand Neil)

Neil just looked at Avni with an inscrutable expression on his face. And then just grabbed both her shoulders and pulled her in a tight hug. Avni hugged him back. They were in embrace for about a minute when Avni realized Neil was trembling. And then she felt something wet on her bare shoulder (as she was wearing an off shoulder blouse)..

Avni (in a worried voice) - "Neil.. Kya hua mere Neil ko?"(What happened to my Neil)

Neil kept on rocking with silent sobs against her. Avni realized this is the first time Neil is about to open to her. She held him tightly and said - "Neil, jo bhi hai tell me. I am strong enough to be a source of strength for both of us."( Whatever it is tell me...)