Light at the end of the tunnel

............

Neil (almost shouting now)- "Avni you cannot leave me. I love you.. I LOVE YOU AVNI!"

Neil bent down his head and his lips met her soft lips. This was the first time he felt her lips but he did not pay any attention to that or to the subconscious electric jolt that connected them suddenly. He pushed open her lips and started giving her artificial resuscitation, trying to revive her breathing. After giving her CPR (artificially trying to make her breathe) 7-8 times, he thumped the center of her chest with both his hands. Then Neil again bent down with his ear pressed to Avni's chest, trying to find a heartbeat, trying to find some hope in his madness.

Suddenly he felt something, Neil heard a dull thud.. and focused on that, keeping Avni pressed to himself. It was a heartbeat but it was not coming from the left side, it was coming from the right side. With a jolt Neil realized, Avni had a rare case of having her heart on the right hand side of her chest cavity.

Neil continued hugging her and crying, first in shock of this realization and then in happiness. All the time he kept saying - "AVNI get up. AVNI utho pls Avni, PLEASE..".(Wake up)

Suddenly he felt a jerk, Avni was moving under his weight! Neil immediately removed himself. He had not even realized and probably it was not her panic attack but now him who was suffocating her! He continued holding Avni closely though.

He saw her breathing becoming more pronounced and normal now. Suddenly Neil felt a weight off his chest as he took a breathe, he had not realized it but he had been holding his breathe for a long time now, awaiting Avni to breathe!

And then suddenly Avni gave Neil so much happiness that he could not take it. She opened her eyes slowly!

As Avni opened her eyes, she saw Neil looking at her bewildered and mad. Neil did not know how he looked then! His usually well-styled hair was tousled, his shirt was half out and crushed and tear stains marked his face. Avni felt too weak to say anything but felt comfortable and warm. She realized she was in Neil's arms. She tried getting up but could not lift herself, she was still too weak!

Neil (in a hoarse whisper) - "Avni don't! Do not try getting up please. Save your energy. I think you had a very bad panic attack."

Avni (in a very slow and almost inaudible whisper) - "Neil..."

Neil (putting his finger on her lips) - "Shhh... Avni you must rest! You have gone through such a bad attack today. I was feeling bad as a left the house today, I should not have gone to office today. If only I had known that you needed me I would have come back much sooner!"

Avni - "Sorry Neil, I did not know this would happen.."

Neil - "Lo paani peeyo!"(Have water)

Neil helped her lift her head and made her have some water. A little stream of water trickled down her chin as she could not drink water properly, Neil obediently wiped it off with his sleeve.

Neil (putting her down on the bed delicately) - "You must rest Avni. Thodi der so jao pls."( Sleep for a while)

Avni (her eyes having a question) - ''but..''

Neil - "Tum na bilkul bachhi ho!! Maine kaha na leti raho. Avni I am here only, don't worry. Even if I want I can't leave right now as my mind will not allow me to leave your side. Pls sleep. I am sitting here right beside you.."(You're a kid...)

And with this assurance, an already tired Avni felt her eyelids becoming heavier and she slept off. Avni did not have any disturbance or bad dreams that night, unlike the nightmare she had had last night. As Avni slept, Neil also dozed off after 15 minutes, right there. He didn't realize how tired he was, physically and more than that mentally and emotionally. He felt spent and exhausted, but satisfied. Avni seemed OK now and it was all that mattered then..

Avni woke up as the sunlight came on her face, she checked the clock on the nightstand by the bedside and saw it was 8-30am! She slowly recalled what happened last night but unlike last night she now felt calm and peaceful. She then heard water running inside the bathroom and realized Neil was already up and taking a bath.

Avni looked at the bedside and saw her phone there. She had not checked her phone since last evening! Avni switched it on and saw 5 missed calls from an unknown number! Avni started to call back on that number but before the ring could go, Neil came out of the bathroom and entire room smelt of his fresh-from-bath fragrance! Avni cut the call and put her phone behind her, her eyes locked with Neil's.

Avni was the first one to break the stare and looked down.

Neil (in a tender low voice)- "Kaisi ho..?"(How re u)

Avni nodded her head to show she was better and then got up. Neil was still looking at her but Avni felt somewhat embarrased, she went into the bathroom and shut the door behind her!

And then her phone rang in the bed....Neil started walking towards the phone to check whose call it was..