End of their story?

Neil got blinded with suddenly very bright headlights switched in front of his eyes.. high beams from at least three cars flashed right into his eyes. 

Neil just stepped on the brakes and swerved the car to a stop with a big jerk. The car banged into some rocks kept on the side of the road to stop it. Else it would have gone right down the deep ravine. Avni who was wearing a seat belt jerked ahead in her sleep but was saved from dashing on the front dashboard. She woke up with a start and winced in pain, the seat belt she was wearing across her chest had tightened against her chest due to the jerk. Neil too was recovering from the jerk but it was expected to him and he recovered first.

Neil's hand immediately reached out to check Avni sitting on his left, even before he opened his eyes - "Avni. AVNI! Tum thik ho na? Avni?"(are u ok?)

He saw that she was rubbing her chest behind the seat belt and he quickly thanked God she was wearing the seat belt. He looked ahead and there were no cars ahead. Neil felt uncontrollable anger rising in him. Someone had flashed them with high beam and then sped away leaving their car by the roadside in this weather. Mostly it was a gang of irresponsible youngsters who panicked and sped but he was not sure. What Neil was sure of, was that he will track them down and make them pay for an almost hit-and-run and for their lack of civic responsibility!

He was looking at backing the car off from the rocks when he heard Avni's very slow cry.

Neil (this time un-belting her) - "Avni.. Kya hua sweetheart? Are you ok? Pls speak"(what happened)

Avni (groaning in pain) - "Haan Neil.. I am..O..K."(yes)

Neil - "Pls let me check that." 

As he said this he removed her seat belt completely and checked what was hurting his Avni. She was clutching her chest. Neil gingerly removed her hand and saw that right from the side of her neck to the part of the skin till where her top covered her, there was a deep red seat belt mark. Avni had got a seat belt burn due to the sudden jerk! Neil was sure it ran all along inside her top and would be quite painful! He swore under his breath and looked even more angry. These guys had hurt his wife...

He opened the car door on his side and ran out to Avni's side and opened her door. He wanted to check her wound completely before continuing with the journey and reaching to the city. There was no place they could have stopped in between in this weather and in dark.

Neil - "Avni give me your hand baby. Let me help you out"

He cupped her cheeks and she looked with half open eyes at him as rains continued to pour down on Neil.

She made an attempt to get out of the seat and immediately sat back in pain due to her movement..

Neil - "AVNI!! Wait baby. I will lift you out and....."

Neil's sentence was cut in half as Avni heard a thump. She immediately looked out to see Neil holding his head with both hands and a stream of dark red blood slowly trickling down from his hair into his eyes.. 

And then she saw it. A thick wooden stick was raised behind Neil, ready to hit him again..