Masks come off..

Neil had met Neela ma outside the gate. Neela ma had hugged him and congratulated him. She told him that today she saw in Avni's eyes the same love for Neil that Neil has for her. Neil didnt say anything, as he had not acknowledged his love for Avni to Neela ma till that day. Neil knew very well that as was desperately, deeply, incorrigibly in love with his Avni. But he could never claim Avni to be his openly. He was not sure of what Avni felt as she was closing up to him. She was more expressive to him as a friend and while they were taking revenge together from Dayawanti but now Avni was behaving erratically. She used to doubt her position in the house and in Neil's life, but to Neil it seemed as if Avni did not care and did not have any feelings for him.

As Neil wished all the best for her journey to Neela ma, Neela said something that ringed in his ears.

Neela - "Neil.. Wo bahut pyaar karti hai tumse, maine uski aankhon mein dekha hai aaj. Uske emotions to samajhti hoon main, I didnt give her birth but I have taken care of her all her life now."(... She loves u a lot. I've seen it in her eyes. I understand her emotions..)

Neil - "Aunty, pls dont worry about Avni. You have a great trip."

Neela (looking at Neil with wet eyes)- "I will, but tell me one thing first. Will you take care of my Avni, meri jaan ka tukda hai wo bachchi. She has gone through alot and I am not able to shrug away the guilt at leaving her even if it is for some months only"(..she's a piece of my heart..)

Neil (holding Neela ma's hand) - "Neela Aunty, I know what you think about me and Avni. I know how much you care about her. I don't want to talk much about it but I give you my word - Main Avni ko khush rakhunga, usko kuch nahi hone doonga. When you come back Aunty you will find a smiling Avni just the way you left her!"(..I'll keep avni happy and not let anything happen to her.)

Neela - "Thanks Neil. With this, today you and Avni have soothed my pain and doubts. I can leave and be at peace now. Bye Beta"

Neil walked towards the house and then to his room as he thought about the above conversation. He was thinking about last night when he saw Avni talking in sleep and restless. He had cupped her face and she had calmed down. Neil smiled as he thought of that but he also felt pained. Avni was going through so much pain, and being a police officer Neil knew about the psychology and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) somewhat. But here his heart was involved and Neil felt helpless sometimes. Avni was a proud girl and not ready to take his help. She had seen and had gone through so much pain that at times she was numb and un-receiving. Could she not see in his eyes how hopelessly Neil had fallen in love with her? Neil decided that today he will confront Avni about his feelings for her..

As Neil approached the door of his room, he heard something breaking inside. Neil walked inside the room taking a left towards the sound and looked at a thousand pieces of bone china that laid shattered on the floor. And then his side eye caught Avni. Neil had a sixth sense for danger and emergency situations. However with Avni every sense of his became slow and diffused. As he turned right to face Avni, he was alarmed!

Avni's eyes were half closed and she was looking at some horizon and clearly could not see that Neil was in front of her.

Neil (with his voice rising with each consecutive word he uttered)- "Avni! Tum thik to ho! AVNI?!"(Are u OK?)

Avni stood like a statue, no response.. and then Neil heard her breathing. Avni's breathes were laboured. She was breathing erratically as if she was in pain. As if she was trying to calm herself down but was beyond it. Neil was stunned for a second but then rushed towards Avni. His eyes were wide with concern and shock as he did not lose eye contact with her. But what happened next all happened in the split of a second. As he lifted Avni in his arms he felt her going STILL. The breathing had suddenly stopped. Neil rushed with Avni to the bed. He kept her on the bed and then followed the drill. Neil had seen Avni getting panic attacks before but today it was the worst he had seen till now. Neil usually had a cool and calm exterior but today he had broken down just at the first glimpse of Avni hyperventilating. As if he knew already what she was going through!

Neil rushed to get a glass of water and tried to get some through Avni's soft pink lips. No response! Neil started panicking, there was no one else in the house at this time and he could not leave Avni alone if he went to get some help. As he realised the jam they were both stuck in, he got more frantic and worried. He tried to calm himself down thinking that he has to take charge of the situation or else it will be worse for Avni. But he could not keep the panic away from his voice as he started taking care of her.

Neil (rubbing Avni's palms furiously) - "Utho Avni. Avni get up! You are a brave girl. Avni PLEASE!"(Hey get up)

He looked and realised Avni was not moving at all! He panicked a bit more. By now, Neil was openly crying. It was all too much. It did not seem to him that Avni was breathing or maybe she was breathing so slowly that he could not feel it.  Neil did not know what led him to do it, but he suddenly bent down and put his ears to Avni's chest at the left side, trying to hear her heartbeat. There was NO SOUND... Neil went mad with grief!

  Neil - "Avni! Utho Love. AVNI! You are my brave girl. Please utho baby. Avni!"  (Pls wake up love....wake up)

He started shaking her. And his tears flew down his cheeks and dropped all over her face and neck. Neil did not realise what he was doing. He had to save Avni somehow....