Chapter 24: Counting Stars

I walked down the side walk, the rest of the group following closely behind me so that none of us got lost in the sea of people.

Since I was so familiar with Malibu (not so much anymore), but I still knew where quite a few places were, Logan had decided to have me bring them somewhere for lunch. The rest of them agreed and now, here I was, walking towards Sheryl's Diner.

My family and I used to eat here a lot. We loved the fact that although Malibu was really crowded with people and a popular place, the diner wasn't like that.

Instead, it felt like you were in the suburbs, not a city. It felt warm, cozy, and the food was amazing. It wasn't fancy either. It was just regular food; burger, hot dogs, fries, pasta, and all that stuff.

When I had been asked to show them somewhere to eat for lunch, it took me a few minutes to make up a list of my favorite places to eat. Then, as soon as I remembered the diner, I didn't bother naming anything else. I figured that there, there had to be at least one thing everyone liked.

We approached the diner and suddenly, I felt a wave of memories hit me.

"Here it is," I told my friends. My voice came out shaky and I'm not even sure they knew what I said.

I felt a hand rub my back and turned to see Claire giving me a gentle smile. I smiled back at her before stepping into the diner, the other trailing behind.

We waited to be seated. When the person seating us finally came, I realized it was Felicia, one of the servers that had been here while I had still been living here.

When she glanced up at me, she cocked her head to the side in a questioning matter.

"Do I know you from somewhere?" she asked me.

I gave her a small smile. "I'm still the same old buttercup I used to be," I said, using the nickname she had always called before.

Her eyes went wide and her mouth snapped open before she gave me a bone-crushing hug.

"Riley!" she exclaimed pulling back. "Oh, gosh! Wait till Daisy finds out you're here!"

I had totally forgotten about Daisy! Daisy worked here at the diner and was one of my close friends. She was about 3 years older than me. Whenever I came to the diner alone, I'd always sit at the counter and whenever she saw me, she'd give me a small before calling my order out to the chef. Then she'd walk out from behind the counter and take a seat next to me on the stool and we'd chat before her boss forced her to go back to work.

Her boss, Chris, was very fond of me. He always said I was the most interesting person he's met. I wonder if I still am now.

Now, turning my attention away from my thought and back towards Felicia, I said, "Just seat these guys and I'll be with them in a moment please."

She nodded before giving me one last hug. Then, she was off and was seating my friends.

I approached the counter and found an empty stool. I sat on it and waited. Finally, Daisy approached, her dirty blond hair thrown up in a messy bun, her apron tied around her waist.

She pulled her notepad and a pen out of her apron pocket before walking towards me.

"What can I get for you?" she asked in her usual chirpy voice. That's what I loved about her. She was so full of spirit.

"Um, the usual," I told her.

She sent me a questioning glance. "Sorry, but I don't know your usual."

"Um, can I see Chris please?" I asked.

She gave me an awkward look before sighing and walking off towards the back to get Chris. She returned shortly after, Chris at her heels.