Chapter 15: Dealing With Danny

"Riley! Get up!" My mom's voice screamed from downstairs.

"Ugh!" I yelled as I rolled over in bed, this time careful not to fall out. I glanced at the digital clock on my bedside table and saw that it read 3:23 A.M.

It was stil dark outside but my mom was leaving for Florida today and her flight was at four. Eager to ship her out of this state, I climbed out of bed and trudged down the steps till I reached the bottom.

My mom stood in front of me, a look of impatience on her face. She had two suitcases next to her. She wore a plain grey tank and a pair of dark washed shorts which were probably mine. Her copper hair was thrown up into a messy bun and she wore a pair of brown flip flops.

When she extended her arms out, motioning for me to come closer and hug her, her bangles clinked together on her arm.

I walked forward and hugged her as she squeezed the life out of me.

"Stay safe, sweetie. Eliza is already aware and I told her that you have to stay with her. So after school, you can come back here and pack for everything you need to bring to Eliza's. Okay?" she asked.

It took all my will power not to roll my eyes at her. She wanted me to pack a week's worth of stuff to sleep over my neighbor's house with. Mine as well just stay home! Which was exactly what I was going to do.

Unlike my mom, Eliza understood me and would let me stay home alone. Not that I wouldn't visit her. Heck, I would probably end up crashing there one night. But I didn't feel like moving all my stuff out of my room just to move it back in later on. Plus, we were talking about moving all this stuff to a place that was barely even fifteen feet away from me.

I just nodded, tiredly. "Got it," I told her.

She sent me a warm smile before giving me another big hug and heading towards the door.

"Oh, and Riley," she called out as she was heading out. I stopped walking up the stairs and turned around.

"Yea?" I asked.

"There's a paper with numbers on the fridge just in case if there's an emergency. But you probably won't need it seeing as that you'll be staying at Eliza's."

"Yea, sure," I told her as I continued again up the stairs as she walked out the door and shut it behind her.

Finally, peace, quiet, and no overprotective mother.

***********************************

Since my mom had taken a cab to the airport, that meant she had left her car behind. She probably  didn't even think I'd drive it seen as though she thought I didn't have the key.

But I did. I kept a spare key hidden for when a chance like this happened and I was ready to be free.

I drove her car effortlessly and smoothly down the road, headed to school. I passed the library, the park, the basketball court, and an elementary school.

When I got to school, I parked in an empty lot and grabbed my backpack. I threw it over my shoulder before shutting the car door and clicking the lock button.

I watched as the bus I usually took to school pulled up and kids filed out of it. I waited for Ashley and Logan to come out. They were the last ones to come out.

"Hey," I said as I walked over to them.

"Eliza drop you off?" Logan asked.

Right! I forgot to tell them about my mom's trip.

"Actually, I forgot to tell you guys. My mom got a trip to Florida, for a week. Which means this week, I'll be home alone, have a car to drive, and can do whatever the heck I want. I'm supposed to stay with Eliza but Eliza won't care. So, with that said... Let the fun begin!" I screamed.